Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Here's hysteria and talk of schools closing in the Irish Independent this morning.

Ireland is bracing itself for the “great freeze” as temperatures are set to plummet to a bone-chilling -10C with snow, ice and freezing fog threatening to cause travel chaos.

If the mercury does drop to -10C, it will prove almost two degrees colder than the lowest recorded for the ‘Beast from the East’ in 2018 – and the coldest December temperature logged for almost a decade.

A significant number of schools are set to close as principals are being advised to make safety decisions based on local snow and ice conditions, despite the Government opting not to enforce a blanket national closure order.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard heavy rain tattoing on the roof..

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Well that’s ridiculous. Windows are closed again thankfully so unless the boiler goes or the buses won’t run resulting in lots of students not in that’s an over reaction.

the Irish independent has always loved blowing up how schools have always been able to make these decisions based on local conditions and the buildings themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Deeec

There is no doubt its cold out there but its completely over the top the talk in the media about closing schools and meetings of the National Emergency Co-ordination Group etc. There is no national emergency regarding the weather and the media shouldnt be scare mongoring. I know a few people who are cancelling plans for today because of listening to the media - it ridiculous.

In most parts of the country its just frosty and roads are fine if you take your time. Very few areas have snow.

Also thank you to all who post here - I find the reports helpful. I find this forum gives more accurate info than ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

-4 and thick frost on the cars in my part of cork city (it appeared!), Estate roads looks very slippery.

Cork airport at -5 (well below the Previous minima for this spell), opened the door there and it's bitter, easily matching the realfeel if -7/-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Media now pushing a -10 agenda. When its obvious the snap is ending very soon. Disgraceful scare mongering.

Cold out this morning here

-3 but set to rise to 0 at about 10.

No ice or frost. All good on roads. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Heavy frost here in Mid Kerry, temperature currently -5.4. Not been on the roads yet but looking out my window it is all just white (with frost)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Fell below -7 sometime last night here and still currently - 6.3c. This is an intense spell of cold by any measure but it is curious how the models have continuously underestimated the low temps throughout since the start of this cold snap.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not an official Met E station, but Kerry Airport reporting -9c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Severe cold snap in Ireland does not definitively mean blizzards.

It’s a cold intense period with 0c or below temps in the majority of the country sustained for almost a week. Some folks in here want to see sled dogs running past before they’ll accept it’s a cold snap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

The heavy fog around greater Dublin area has kept overnight temperatures higher than expected. I had heavier frost & cold last Friday than this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Minister on the radio this morning saying we had snow in East Galway now I heard nothing about it or saw any post relating to that in fact most of the Country has been cloud free anyone know more.

Very quick, slapdash chart showing running 7 day national temp anomaly since the start of the year and up until Saturday. A real notable dip at the end showing that in terms of just deviations alone, this is the coolest 7 period of this year to date, and this may drop even further once the Met data has been updated later.

All that data is from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,015 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

heavy fog in cork city or at least the western part of it. Can’t even see the city or the south side from the north side. The roads and footpaths were grand once I got out of my park, which was iffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looks like a snowscape this morning but it's just heavy frost. A decent fog at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The roads are bad in my part of rural west Galway but I am loving this cold snap. There is something very refreshing waking up to a white winter wonderland day after day. Not surprised Athenry had -7 last night - the freezing fog was sharp. Worst road conditions of the cold snap for us.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

No snow here anyway but the frost is so thick now that it looks like a fresh fall of snow.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

A really disappointing cold spell. We got the temperatures but nothing (for my Midland location) in terms of snow. That's a bust from me. Just sitting out this chilly week awaiting balmy 13 degrees by Sunday. Hope for something in January. The media were looking for a big weather story, they got none. Also, no issues with electricity. All the doom talk during the summer of winter blackouts. If we don't have them now, we will never have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Freezing fog in D24 this morning.

Can barely see the park at the end of my toad. Currently -4 according to my phone.

Winds finally go east/NE around 7am tomorrow. Should produce snow for the greater Dublin area, could be too warm for coastal areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

If we don't have them now, we will never have them.

You sound disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You must have a big toad! 😲🐸

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Condor24

Bought a traileroad of candles last September from Dealz, unused. Highly disappointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Thus people differ. I find it a great cold spell. Clear, dry air and invigorating weather - and doubly great because there was no snow for us. Here's hoping it stays away.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Moderate rain in West Mayo overnight, not sure of the temp but no frost and everything appears to have thawed. I thought some of the precipitation would be wintery last night but the snow line on the mountains appears to have moved higher to 500m+.

Met.ie are predicting that the temp will drop after 9am.

A lot of schools made the decision to close this morning - difficult decision but yesterday was like an ice rink on many of the rural roads and the council don't treat any roads back here. The forecast was for some rain and even harder freezing last night so loading buses with children in the dark this morning did not seem like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Last big cold we saw -10 on the car and one cars batteries froze not thawing till midday.

At the moment lowest I've seen is -1.5 in the car. Obviously much colder in other parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

-3 at Roches Point. Not often you see temps so low there right by the coast. Dense fog here in East Cork, this morning is as cold as I can remember here, we usually avoid temperature extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

sarsfield bridge limerick city it says ~4 but feels like -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's not doom talk to report on the well known issues with power in Ireland.

Any older people on the forum will remember power cuts being common, and always had backup candles in a press somewhere. Was no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cold and foggy this morning. Ive had enough of this now. Burning oil and solid fuel to keep warm. Electric metre spinning like a top. Some hefty bills on their way that's for sure.

I suppose you have to laugh. Only 5 months ago it took me 1 minute to get ready on a morning. T shirt and shorts.

Now it takes about 15 minutes with all the layering. I've gone all trendy nowadays. Long John's no longer, baselayer it is. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Met Eireann have been exceptionally balanced in relation to this cold snap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement