Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

EINN 152300Z 10003KT 0100 R24/0450 R06/0450 FZFG VV001 M03/M03 Q1019 NOSIG

Its an aviation weather report known as a METAR.

Shannon Airport 15th December 11pm, wind 100° (easterly) at 3 knots, visibility 100m in Freezing Fog, Runway visual range for both RWY24 and 06 is 450m, vertical visibility 100 feet, temperature -3°c, dew point -3°c, QNH (Air Pressure) 1019 hPa, no significant change forecast in the next 2 hours.

To the best of my recollection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm with you! As much as I love heat, proper heat.....and would be happy with it all year round, I despise the wind......any wind at all. Whilst I'm not a lover of the cold, I'm fine with very cold conditions as long as it's accompanied by completely calm conditions. Give me -5c with snow and/or blue skies with calm conditions over 10c with wind and/or rain any day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I looked out my window a few minutes ago in west Dublin and thought it had snowed as the ground had a fresh white coating but its actually a very thick ice/frost that has formed. I've never seen it so white simply from frost. It's gotten foggier too so maybe it's a layer of frozen moisture on the surfaces. It looks like a dusting of snow for all intents and purposes. Very seasonal looking!

Post edited by lordleitrim on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭circadian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Mt Dillon the first of the synoptic stations to record a -9 in this spell, I believe (-8.7).

Just heard a great gust of wind.. Wondered what it was at first... Half past six am

The strangest thing this last while is the silence ..

Offshore West Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Reading -4 here at the minute in D22 dreading the drive in the next few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

-8 Aherlow tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Hardest frost of this cold outbreak here in kilkenny city and add in a fairly dense freezing fog

It's like a Christmas card scene out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dropped to -7.7’C at around 7am, rising a little now.

(Roscrea)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ascophyllum

6° in Belmullet and -5° in Claremorris at 6am. 11° difference across county Mayo. Same difference between Mace Head and Athenry.

The mild air is coming! What an amazing 2 weeks here on the West coast, the landscapes and the light has been beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thankfully looks like today is the last of the really frosty days.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Current readings locally:

Low of -6.8c just after midnight. Once again, the lowest temps occurred during the freezing fogs with sudden rises in when the fog banks clear. Noticed this yesterday evening as well. As soon as a (very eerie) fog bank rolled in, the temps plummeted rapidly, which is curious given that other people around the country on here have frequently reported the opposite effect. (rise in temps when fogs roll in)

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

-6 this morning in Sth Kilkenny.

Pitches were rock hard last night .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brendan offaly

Tullamore Rural.

Our coldest morning yet from this cold spell. -7.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Low of -8.1 in Roscommon, still -7.8 now 🥶

I have a robin who risks his life ( my cats) flying to to tell me he is hungry...He then has the sense to retreat to the top branches of the bushes... I add butter to the wholemeal bread.. NB there are magpies around who are much more of a threat than the cats. And there is always left over cat food out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The sea temp at Killiney has dropped over 3 degrees in under two weeks. Gonna be a cold swim this weekend 🥶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭rameire

A lovely frosty covering this morning in Clonee

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's just wonderful waking up to a winter wonderland every morning for 10 days. I feel like I am living in Scandinavia.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It's weird thinking that temperatures on Sunday night might stay in + double figures. Going outside on Monday morning will feel almost summer like lol

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

-7 in Tullamore. Coldest morning yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Such a thick frost this morning in Dublin 15...like a coating of snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hows Galtymore looking? All frost or is there some snow?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

I got my wedding photos taken there, beautiful spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

-6 near Shannon. I heard there's a burst mains pipe on the east side of the town. Kid's are having a great time sliding up and down the freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

-3.9c here in D14, which is the low for the night/morning. As others have said, the frost is so thick it looks like a light dusting of snow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

7.5 for our swim yesterday, expecting it to be the same or even less today. Baltic but beautiful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement