Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ohh yes i know about 1947, 63 82, then 2010 of course, then 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Ye my second mam does a 15k run,

5 k cycle and then a swim and that's 5 days a week, no wetsuit or nothing she's a mad bast*rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭piplip87

What an incredible couple of weeks weather wise it has been. Nothing like taking the dogs out on a cold evening and letting off for a rub through fields and not having to worry about the muck.

The Forrest around here is like something you would see in a tundra region of the artic.

Lough Ramor not totally frozen the reflection of the sky a sight to behold. Hopefully I'll make it down in the morning before the thaw sets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I remember that snowfall late Christmas Eve 1994! I left the church and it had just started snowing. Ah to experience something as superb as that year, however unlikely that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The rain is certainly back in Galway. Bring back the dry cold !!

I am surprised there is no snow showers bring reported.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Temp got down to -5.1 last night here with very little thaw. Already -2.7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Today was probably the coldest of the spell in these parts (East Cork). Only got up to around 2 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

This looks like being a rare Ice Day at Moore Park, near Fermoy. Temps never got above -1.4, only beaten by 2010

Met Office WOW -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Light shower of sleet and freezing rain near Ardagh, Longford. Current temp just slightly above 0° @100m ASL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Absolutely miserable in Galway today, shower after shower.

At least we got a glimpse at what seasons look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Big fall of hailstones in Galway roads very slippy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like the cold spell may already be more or less over in the western half of the country. Lots of showers and majority of them are of hail and rain and making their way almost to Leinster at this stage. Temperatures are also rising right across the country ever so slightly. Only 2 Met Eireann stations below 0C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Was hoping we might see some snow in Dublin before the cold departed, but I guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That RTE weather women looking all gleeful because the cold weather is coming to an end, saying some people will be happy about it, like I had to use an umbrella with me today for the first time in a good while, it was horrible. What's so great about miserable weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A bit of a breeze out there tonight and temperatures have been hovering between -2.2c and -1.4c all evening long. Ice and rime is very crunchy underfoot and is as thick as a decent dusting of snow. Untreated paths and roads are incredibly slippery owing to constant traffic compressing the ice onto itself. Every surface, vertical or horizontal is sparkling under the LED night lights. South Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

It just goes to show how difficult it is to have snow falling to lower levels in this country even with the cold in place. This cold spell was a mainly dry one and when there were showers, a lot of them fell as rain/sleet/hail due to the very warm sea temperatures.

Dublin did get lucky Thursday night 8th Dec with a decent snow shower but after that practically nothing. A light dusting Saturday night 10th Dec then no more. Makes you think how unlucky we can be most of the time on this small island of ours. Those who don’t like or want snow are happy enough with the outcome of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Had a recent rain shower here in Meath and judging by the radar another on the way shortly…..very odd though it’s proper rain not sleet given how low the temperatures are.

Untreated roads are going to be lethal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

The cost to my pocket. Under a constant financial squeeze from run away inflation, this cold spell has come at worst time for many people. This month already cost me €150 on gas & only half way through the month.

Less people die from illnesses due to cold homes, poor nutrition or outright homelessness and the EDs are less busy with the injuries from slips and falls. There are less road accidents. Less livestock get in bother and less business owners have sleepless nights for the energy they have to consume just to keep trading.

The last week has been a pain in the hole. If its not going to snow heavily and deliver for the children at least, then its a good thing that this icy weather is set to p1ss off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just started to rain lightly here in Dunshaughlin and the ground still frozen solid. A fair chance the very decent dusting of ice and bits of snow will be washed away by the morning with more showers on the way.

• Advertisement

Local roads with compressed ice from regular traffic.

Rime from constant frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Take care on the roads and footpaths, this cold snap has a sting in the tail, light drizzle falling and freezing on contact with the ground. The roads are in glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

500mb height anomaly reanalysis of 5th-14th Dec 2022 shows an anomalous blocking feature slap bang over Greenland with troughing to our south and east. This is a severe winter pattern historically. It's no surprise looking at this why December has been significantly colder than normal so far.

Given what could have been with such an anomaly and historic precedents, I think we were let off rather lightly - especially in the snow department. Nonetheless, still a notable cold spell for our part of the world and is a huge contrast to the record-breaking heatwaves of July and August just gone.

So 2022 has given us a long awaited cold December spell (albeit again not that snowy at all) and an amazing August. Solid year in my books!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

While inflation will ease in the summer, energy prices are not going to drop by much. High energy prices are here to stay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Country roads are lethal in Galway. Went for a walk there and there were large patches of black ice after the rain. Worst road conditions of the whole cold snap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

I know way off topic but are they the Dunnes snowlights in the back?!

Not sure - neighbours garden! I'll ask tomorrow and let you know.

Meanwhile, here's a few 2010 memory lane photos taken by a friend:

Love the colour in the sky in the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Absolutely treacherous road's north of Corofin in Clare. After the rain came it froze over, especially near Leamaneh Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Small rain shower starting in cork city now. Going to miss the dry weather, crisp air and clear blue skies. Back to usual December muck, being stuck inside the house in the dark again.

Edit: that rain shower froze almost immediately on the cars!

Post edited by SleetAndSnow on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement