Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Great that fog last Monday shifted. Bright skies and freezing hard. Dublin on Wednesday had nothing white. Back in Meath paths, grass etc white.

First night in Meath tonight in many days above freezing 1⁰. No precip yet that I've noticed.

All I'm hearing about from Galway (family, friends) is how the roads are like sheet of glass tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

It rained here in East Clare about 2 hours ago, now it's freezing..I haven't seen the roads this bad in a long time.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After 18.00 the back roads here near Tralee were getting quite slippery, rained since , a short time ago it was 3.5C but icy out the back of the house, a lot of cold stored in the ground at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A train of precipitation containing many carriages approaches from the southwest. Will the cold here turn it to snow? Hovering between -1.5c and -0.5c. Dewpoint currently -1.5c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Galway is like a skating rink roads are deadly

• Advertisement

• Definitely potentially dangerous driving conditions as the temperatures shift around until the cold surfaces are gone, which won't be until Sunday in some places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Came out at 10 this evening in Tralee to wet roads. Got home and thr ice was gone off the car. It sat there all week under a layer of ice.

3C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Absolutely deadly, it's bizarre, it's 4°c out yet all untreated paths and roads have frozen over, including puddles. Yet, no cars are frozen.

Very odd.

Absolute misery though. Many people here have posted wondering how you could enjoy the cold, I wonder how you can prefer the windy wet Atlantic drear to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'll get sick of too much of anything I guess.

The ground is frozen to an unusual depth thanks to the last 8 days of below freezing conditions. The sheet metal and glass of cars are very poor conductors of temperature so they shed the cold that supports the ice far more quickly than the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

My dad took a shine to my shoe ice spikes.

Snow next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There was a Christmas Eve like that in the early 2020s. I had but recently moved to a mountain in Leitirm. I was just about to set out for Midnight Mass when snow started. Rethought my plans. The road uo to there was hard enough going without snow..

Actually EDs are swamped just now. Waiting times for beds are appalling as a result. And many old folk struggle with bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Few spots of sleety rain there in D14. Temp 3.5c and DP -1c. Ground still frozen solid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperature now 8C in parts of Kerry and just one station left (Moore Park) with a sub zero reading. Temperatures across the country now generally between 2 and 5C. A big change already on the past week or more.

Freezing rain/sleet in south Laois just kicked off. Looks like there's fog coming down also. Temp is +0.1c with a dewpoint of -0.6c

• It's residual cold patches. It's not warm enough yet to get rid of them. Think about how long it takes to defrost something by leaving it in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

As intense as this cold is, it is a very shallow cold. If you threw a stone up in the air, that stone would likely go through a few degrees of temp on its way up an down again.

New Moon

• Even so, you'd need to get temperatures above about 5ºC for a while to thaw some of the sheltered patches over a few hours. Otherwise they'll take a while, particularly in places that saw temperatures significantly below zero.

Freezing rain. Thankfully its rare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Still white and frosty here near Trim, will hang on as long as we can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Wet and windy here in firhouse the ice is still lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Just one very very tiny patch of snow left. The roads and paths are full of ice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'm convinced a lot of this welcoming of the "mild" conditions is an "East Coast Bias" thing!

In fairness I think I'd probably welcome it too, if I lived in Dublin and wouldn't get a fraction of the sideways cold rain and muck that we've to endure in the West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Charlestown Co.Mayo. Truck slide into Pharmacy. A lot of cars in ditches along with a few council gritters.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

So much drama over a week of frost in winter, mild weather here now to stay for the foreseeable as per usual winters in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Foggy. The landscape still white from the heavy frost and rime. All of it will be gone by tonight sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Place is a mess cars in ditches everywhere

As always a reconnoitre as soon as the light was full. All the same as these last days -except that the moon is a glowing sideways smile.

The snowline on the mountains is stable and all is blissfully at peace.

Would love a walk but although the mind is willing. the body is not... need a scooter.

A fair fine winter day. Stay safe all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim & Mayo is the worse it's been in years. Roads surfaces and pathways are just solid ice. Freezing rain this morning is causing havioc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement