Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Yes it does, I didn’t check the historical charts yet. Sounds like it was an interesting couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

1.2c in meath near rathkenny, fog had cleared, but its now returning, roads were very bad this morning, sun has cleared some of the ice in places, but the parts still in shade are bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The thaw has started here in Meath with everything starting to drip. The thaw will probably intensify as the afternoon goes on and then maybe a slight frost early tonight before much milder air sweeps in by the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah up to 7c here in tipp and u can feel the warmth in the sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Almost 6c in South Laois, wasn't expecting it to mild up this much today. Sunny. Ice thawing on roads but still around 40% left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Fog 2C and a thaw. Roads absolutely lethal last night. We had rain for a while and then it froze.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thanks for the newspaper report. I knew about this period but didn't realise its significance in Ireland. Having access to the newspaper archive can provide a lot more value sometimes on getting to know about events from years ago than solely stats but I haven't been bothered to pay for it again in a while.

To sum it up, heights rose over Scandinavia at the beginning of December 1937. Low pressure decoupled from Iceland and head southwards with the anticyclone that developed over Scandi retrogressing to Greenland by the 6th. A northeasterly flow was established right from the Urals in similar vein to late November 2010. However it was quite temporary and the Greenland high was flimsy which allowed another low from the northwest to attack by the 10th. This pushed eastward and allowed a strong northerly flow on its western side right into Ireland. Once this cleared, another low came and went to an identical position by the 14th. It became largely dry and anticyclonic up to the 20th then the Atlantic broke through.

The lowest minimum temp from the spell in Ireland was only -7.2C at Birr Castle on the 8th and Markree on the 9th. Aldergrove had 9 days of snow lying at 9am and Markree 6 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The black ice is thawing under the sun but it's still there in the shadows. Be careful.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

Since my last post the fog has got worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Alot of the ice has stayed around all day and a frost has set in again. Another unpleasant evening ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Temps hit 6° degrees today in Cahore but will drop to 2° by 7 pm before rising overnight again. Can see rain clouds approaching now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Table showing some of the lows and means from the period Dec 8th to Dec 16th, which ended up being the coldest period of weather across Ireland since December 2010. I will update this table tomorrow when I add more stations from the 'WoW' network, as to be honest, it is a pain in the backside to extract data from and my patience with dealing with finicky things wears thin rapidly.

Table is ordered from the lowest mean temperature down. Broadly speaking, inland areas (as one would expect) came in the coldest of this period, but many coastal locations came in with impressive 9 day overall means. For example, Belmullet's 9 day mean min of -0.2c would be hard to achieve for the coldest inland spots in a more typical winter.

All that data is from Met Eireann. As I mentioned, I'll add in a few more stations tomorrow to get an even fuller picture and also, many thanks to Danno for sharing his Durrow data with me. We got to see it before Met Eireann official published it!

New Moon

Amazingly the roads in Galway are starting to freeze again after a decent thaw earlier.

Athenry has gone from 6C to 2C in 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

December 1938 was also freezing so two cold December’s in a row. I think it was a rare white Christmas in Ireland in 1938 too?

What are the chances of two freezing Decs in a row in the 21st century?

Edit 1: Sounds like it would have been a very robust northerly pattern that would have brought those conditions to Donegal.

In those days a northerly could deliver the goods unlike the insipid rubbish we have to put up with now!

Edit 2: December 1939 turned cold late in the month and winter 39-40 was severe so make that three in a row!

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Athenry is 0C again.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Robwindstorm

My friend the fog is back and freezing quite hard again. This cold spell has made its own little place in weather history in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There was a slight freeze for about two hours tonight , the temperature has risen since to 2 degrees. The rime is still hanging on for now. I expect it will be all gone by the end of the small hours. Maybe I should gather up some of the rime and put it in the freezer. At least that way a piece of this cold spell will live on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No sign of that milder air yet in these parts. I thought we'd be about 10c by now.

New Moon

• It's about 6ºC in Cork City and expected to be warmer tomorrow. So, I think we can safely conclude the cold snap is over on the south coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Mt Dillon registered -3 in the 9pm Met Éireann reports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Will be weird returning to milder weather tomorrow. Hope we get another shot of cold weather this winter though. The potential disruption isn't nice, but I love going for a run in the cold, crisp winter air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

My outdoor thermometer (not a very scientific one!) is currently reading -2, it got to a balmy 2.5 degrees today. Estate roads (untreated) are still like glass, as are pavements.

No sign of the uplift in temperature just yet!

Northside Drogheda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Certainly ahead of the curve down in Cobh - minimum since midnight is 3c, then it suddenly started warming at 930am and we've been sitting at roughly 8c ever since.

All ice gone apart from a small bit in the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭ongarite

Temperature slowly creeping up with 2.9C recorded at Dunsany at 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Currently up to 4° degrees in Cahore, and will increase by 1° degree per hour and peaking at 7° until noon tomorrow when it will peak at 13 ° overnight into Tuesday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperatures in many parts of the country could be close to 10C by 10am tomorrow. The frost and ice should be long gone by then. Temperatures tomorrow rising to 12 or 13C by midday and staying at those values all through tomorrow night and into the first half of Monday before cooling slightly in the evening time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Make that -4° at 22:00. Just a little bit above -4° not too far away at my location in Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Met Éireann still not going past Weds with their outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Minus 2 here in N. Louth. Foggy enough and very cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement