Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colder this week, some wintry/snow showers, widespread frost and ice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Black ice in Galway thought it would be gone by now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Temperature on thee rise now near Tralee, 5.5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I came to Galway 19 years ago, I thought I'd be gone by now, it's just that kind of place.

This is the final parting gift of the cold spell, it should be gone when you wake up in the morning for mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Temperatures on the rise, this time tomorrow night it be 12c countrywide

Mass what's that 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Farewell cold spell back to the usual muck tomorrow........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The familiar windsong is a deep pleasure. That intense silence boded ill. Sing on winter wind. Ancient melodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I don't mind the mild coming back in for a while to be honest. A two weeks cold spell with some sneachta is the sweet spot for me. Very unlucky sneachta wise so far this winter but I enjoyed the seasonal feel of the spell.

Don't get me wrong I want more cold but a break is good. We haven't had a cold January in yonks. An easterly in January with a week of snow is my holy grail, 1987 like.

Post edited by sicknotexi on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Cold is great except issues with driving & walking etc. and also the heating cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold spell well and truly over, or on a break, on the west cork coast. 11 degrees, windy and showery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Walked to the shop and back there this morning and almost had to crawl up. The whole street just one big black ice rink. So much for this 'milder' air. The ground is still frozen solid.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

8.0 c here in East Clare with a dirty cold wind making if feel colder..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Those posters looking forward to the rain will likely change their mind about that after the next few days. After a prolonged dry and cold spell the Atlantic usually makes up for it! I just hope its not going to rule the roost for January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In fairness it had its turn for the entirety of autumn 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seeing as the cold snap is over now I want to thank all of the expert opinion and analysis over the past few weeks.

I only said in the winter thread a few months ago we don’t get frost anymore at least this winter we got frost, ice, snow, minus conditions. Im happy out now.

Now if we can curb this wind and rain sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice to get a run in this morning without worrying about slipping. Having said that still some ice lingers on corners. Easterly breeze making it bitter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

We certainly got our frost fix which was lovely. Now if we can get our snow fix in January please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Aww, the artic days are gone, cold, crisp blazing winter sun illuminating everything in rich warm orange tones, crystal clear azure skies, sharp visibility and everything enhanced and clean looking as the light reflects of all the crystals, those artic nights, the novelty of watching the moon rise.

Now rain spluttering in your face, everything grey and gloomy, like a big massive wet fart being blown in your face, and miserable just the way Irish people like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A week long spell of bitterly cold unstable easterlies to north-easterlies with non stop snow trains is exactly what we need. The recent cold spell was very enjoyable and a welcome change from all the rain that persisted for 3 months beforehand, however the lack of snow meant that the usual excitement factor was non existent, so if we do get another proper cold spell between now and mid February I would like to see more in the way of widespread snow with the next one!

Having said that I would welcome another spell of cold like the one we just had, anything is better than this Atlantic muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I have to say that I absolutely loved the cold snap - I don't ever remember the place looking so picturesque with the beautiful white trees etc. We had no snow here in Cork but the hard frost made it look like snow and it was stunning but now the rain is back and everything is really drab looking. I really don't like this miserable damp weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I like observing the weather I have no love for deep cold or snow and if I don't see another frost or flake of snow it won't bother me.

But whether we enjoy it or not we're powerless over the weather and just take it as it comes

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Mild air well and truly in over southern Laois now. Currently 9.5c

11.0c is the months max so far. Likely to fall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

6c now. I think that’s the warmest it has been since the 5th.

Still 5c at knock and Malin. Valentia 13c

Just a question last night ME said today would have rain with spot flooding and gale force to strong gale 9 Country wide here in Galway no rain and not a breeze since yesterday how is it so wrong or did it not arrive yet we did have a small amount of rain last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Offshore breeze mild and sunshine in lahinch 🤣🤣👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very tropical out at the moment, feels like Spain lol compared to last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Incredibly humid here in South Wicklow. All windows in the house are steamed up outside and it actually feels milder outside than in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement