Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling potholes

• 04-12-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a tractor implement you can get for filling potholes? Kind of like a hopper where you can let out gravel as you drive along.

I'm sick of shovelling the gravel out of a trailer with a shovel....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Definitely should be shoving out of a power box at the least, with it tilted out just enough fo flick the shovel out.

Other wise tip box of gravel in heaps and gently grade in nicely from the tractor seat.

Landleveller to heaps of gravel or just loosen the lane itself either.

Other wise its just a case of makeing a drain to the side to stop the potholes building up in the first place, trapped water and springs bursting up cause most potholes.

Drainage is the only close, once and for all option to stop potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I saw a tow behind a lorry or trailer, box grader once at a farm walk. Fairly sure it was a homemade job though.

Would a ripper and blade work if there's perhaps enough filling on the lane as is?

Would that suit? He's near Baltinglass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I remember watching a YT video on farm roadways - I think it was the fella with the outside cubicles - and he said that roadways should be 5m wide so that you can drive across the full width in order to prevent rutting. If we went to that extreme, there'd be nothing for the cows to eat but stones!

We use a front-end loader and tilt it over so the shovel man only has to scrape it into the pothole and level it. So a similar setup to Jb1989. Rolled in with front wheel of the tractor with fully loader to get it well compressed.

Can you get a front-end loader or power box for the job? Unless you're a giant or it's a short roadway filling from a trailer will knacker you before its finished.

Flat roadways are a nightmare and almost impossible to prevent potholing. Fine road planings laid at the height of summer is the best thing that I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sorry for butting in, any advice on tarmac patching 3 potholes. They are shallow potholes at the moment, about 28cm diameter. The lane has silage and slurry tanker traffic at harvesting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Can't go too far wrong at that price - 25 kg for €20. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

We've used that before. Used the head of a sledgehammer to tamp it in.

Lasted well, but the stuff we had was quite open so water can get down into it and burst out during frost.

Advertisement