Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭jj880

Just to point out you can filter YouTube search results to "video duration > 20 mins" and "uploaded in last 24 hours". Theres usually a hero with a video up. Cork Limerick was easily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"All over the world" my arrse. It's beamed to a tiny tiny little portion of people around the world and that will never change whatever the likes of Donal Og think about proper promotion of the games.

And no advertising doesn't work well for TV companies in Ireland that produce content. If it did you wouldn't have licence fees, government funding and subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jelutong

Think I got that wrong. You don’t have access to a replay if the game ends in a draw. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There was an interesting article in the irish times, which ridiculously is behind a paywall, and being an irish paper that should be free of course because everything notable or good and irish should be free, at least if you live in Ireland. But anyhow, heres a taster…

Ciarán Murphy: We need more games on GAAGo – not less

The GAA have more championship games that matter than they’ve ever had and have the technological infrastructure to allow more people to see more of these games

GAAGo isn’t perfect. Having three Cork hurling games, and their footballers’ match against Kerry, might be deemed to be squeezing a major market a little too forcefully. But my main criticism of GAAGo is simply that it doesn’t show enough games.

…….but there was no facility for me to watch Galway/Sligo in a Connacht senior football semi-final a couple of weeks ago. I’d have loved to have been able to tune into GAAGo for that and I’d have paid more for the privilege.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2024/05/16/ciaran-murphy-we-need-more-games-on-gaago-not-less/

His point is that it would have been great to have it live on GAAgo, and whilst I agree I can see why the powers that be are cautious about having too much on live whether free or on GAAgo BUT like a broken record I still dont see why more games cannot be shown delayed on Gaago, or better still also on terestrial TV.

Sure feck it, if Virgin wont send their own TV crew for live games, maybe offer Virgin media delayed rights of live Gaago games like the FAI does for friendlies. A high profile game with coverage starting at 8.30pm or so surely would get more viewers than some poxy movie, or this Saturday on Virgin 2 "Live Racing: Preakness Stakes" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I like what you did there with your tongue-in-cheek criticism of The Irish Times. 😄

Even worse, my local newspaper is behind a paywall online. This is a paper that preaches how it serves the community and which relies on many members of the community for it to operate in the first place.

For example - voluntary contributors of all sorts who send in information about local events. PROs of all sorts of sports clubs and organisations sending in their weekly reports. People of all sorts willing to take phone calls to give information so that stories can be written. Other people of all ages willing to pose for photos in all sorts of places so that pages can be filled.

Then they package up all this goodwill offered voluntarily by the community, and put the result behind a paywall. The cheek of them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Most 'local' newspapers are no longer locally owned, nearly all part of bigger media groups who dont give a **** unfortuantely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Burns has gone very quiet.

Sean Cavanagh:

"I haven't pulled out the recent accounts but I remember seeing a couple of years ago 40,50, 60m of cash reserves and a balance sheet of €100m. I'm an accountant, I know this stuff.

"For an amateur organisation owned by the members, owned by the people that are lining pitches, by people in every club up and down the country, for me that looks like a very healthy position.

"I previously worked with a lot of soccer organisations, a lot of them go bust all the time and haven't got 2p to rub together. For me, the GAA is in a very healthy financial position, they're acquiring lots of strategic assets all over the country.

"I think it was just the anger on Saturday night, the fallout of the Cork-Limerick thing and ordinary GAA people losing out. Let's call a spade a game, that game should have been on TV somewhere free-to-air, I think everyone recognises that.

"I remember GAAGO being sold to me as 'this is going to provide games to the world, outside of Ireland' but for me, Saturday night was us punishing people within Ireland who should be seeing that game because this organisation, which is owned by RTÉ and the GAA.

"There's definitely a strong suspicion that there has been tactical picking of the games to generate revenue and profit.

"Why does it have to turn a profit? Why can't those games, whether it's subsidised by the government, why can't you show the bigger games free-to-air to the Irish public.

"There's a bigger picture here of trying to promote our game and trying to not punish the people who run our games. I think that's where a lot of the anger lies, where it felt like it was a little bit sneaky of the GAA on Saturday to put that game behind a paywall and punish the ordinary supporters who really needed to see that.

"Equally, that game should be flaunted because that's the game that everyone's going to remember, that's going to get kids into hurling. It just felt wrong for me."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

If thr local newspaper puts so much of it'd content up online for free how many will still but the paper then. If they don't payroll it what return do they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Galway v Derry in the football group stages is on GAA Go this Saturday.

Will there be as much outrage?

How many politicians will weight in?

Will Burns double down?

All will be revealed between Saturday afternoon and Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,063 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This thread will go quiet too. Last year only one post between July and December. Before that it was all about Munster hurling, particularly Cork. Then on 04 December somebody discovered that it would be a repeat this year, which produced the expected reaction.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41282941.html

After Christmas all went quiet again for a few months. Until our politicians and other interested parties were taken by surprise by Cork not getting on RTE. This happens with the schedule of games as well, which is published in December. Some people are caught out at this time of year by how condensed the season is, and that games have to be settled on the day.

I think you missed the sarcastic intent of my post. Was echoing the sarcasm of the other poster in relation to The Irish Times.

Was listening to a radio discussion on this whole topic yesterday. Somebody drew a comparison with LOITV (League of Ireland TV) - pointed out how they stream every single match, whether it's on TV or not, and wondered why can't the GAA do the same.

Question arises - even if the GAA did that, wouldn't there still be complaints anyway?

A large part of the gripe about GAA GO is that "many people don't have good enough broadband" and "elderly people don't have access to the internet, or don't know how to use it".

Streaming every single match wouldn't stop these complaints, and might even make them worse, e.g. "we were only missing out on two or three matches being streamed each week - now we're missing out on them all!".

Maybe there should be a text vote on what will be shown on RTE. Clearly state how many games can be shown and give the options.

Use text messages so everyone can have a vote. No web / social media polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not a great idea when some counties have much larger populations than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Not sure if it's still done but didn't the LFGA stream all league games from all 4 divisions on their Facebook page during COVID? I would pay double the current subscription charge just to have all my county league and championship matches streamed. Like all the minor and under 20 championship games are streamed and I wouldnt think they are being streamed at a loss - the senior grade would have multiple of viewer numbers compared to the underage grades. The argument that if you are paying good money for a product then production values need to be upped with the likes of pre and post match analysis and multi camera angles. I don't see that as essential - what's essential is one camera positioned correctly and a constant stream with a commentator and off we go.

This "national outcry" is both politicking with elections coming up, the media looking for clicks and people who moan about anything who in a lot of cases are passing supporters. A good number would have awareness that Cork for example were playing in the hurling, turned on RTE 2 around throw in time and had a fit that it wasn't on free to air.

I honestly believe the vast majority of people that really want to watch a match on GAAGO would have the ways and means to watch it. That might mean asking the young fella down the road to bring the laptop up, going to the local pub for two fanta's etc etc. it's the passing fans that are up in arms for me, if that Saturday night movie was any good or Munster were playing Treviso in Limerick they'd be watching that instead.

Good point. Take final results from each county as 1 vote for a particular match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Of course the thread will go quiet. GAAGo do not show any club games, the GAA blocks TG4 from showing games abroad but does not put them on GAAGo, although the video is already available. That in itself is a disgrace.

It will be interesting to note if the ground if full on this occasion, neither Galway footballers nor Derry are known for huge support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pearse Stadium on a Saturday afternoon is a nightmare to get to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

An outsider opinion here: I'm not a member of a club, I've no real interest in football, sometimes go to games, and my wider family would watch hurling if it was on TV.

The big fans in my family either went to the games or paid for GAAgo. No issues. I went to some games and didn't pay for GAAgo. My children and wider family saw virtually no hurling this year (maybe TG4).

You maybe won't get many casual fans like me in this thread and our opinions probably aren't heavily considered, but in cities particularly GAA has competition. We're like "undecided" voters in elections or something. And 3 weeks of no senior hurling on TV means that there's been very little hurling shown in our house. Provincial senior rugby competes against underage hurling for screen time. It's nothing like a fair battle.

So I think a question is whether the GAAgo primary goal is broadcasting to an existing audience or growing the sport with new audiences. Because I don't think GAAgo is achieving the latter with the current model. The stated GAA goal is "show the sport to as wide an audience as possible", but since the championship format change our house has seen less hurling than before. And GAAgo isn't really going to stem that tide.

Also, choosing to put Cork on GAAgo 3 weeks in a row looks like shooting yourself in the foot. I understand they're trying to drive people onto the service but it's a double edged sword. And dangerous when your competition aren't doing the same. It's not really the price that's the problem for me more a case of "why would I bother, there's already something interesting on TV". It didn't make me get a subscription anyway.

Finally, the Saturday/Sunday Game TV show, I know it's a different topic entirely but it's dire altogether these days. Not worth watching at all. So that's not helping the situation either!

For context. And given that strategy, it looks like they chose wisely (back in December). There is such a massive audience for the Cork hurling games, that it is a no brainer to put those on pay tv.

"Burns said that while he understood some people's frustration with the Cork-Limerick game going behind a paywall, he stressed the commercial reality was that GAAGO had to include some big games to make the subscription (€69 per year) attractive.

"In order to make GAAGO financially viable we can't just show the peripheral small games that we're not going to have on (otherwise) so we do have to have some games to attract people to the €69 that they will say, 'there's a couple of big games on that will justify my purchase.'

"Remember, we do not have shareholders, we have stakeholders and those stakeholders are demanding that we do our best to fund all of these infrastructure projects and all of the €75m that we give back (to county boards and clubs)."

Last year it was about showing games that wouldn't be shown on TV? So, that was deflection.

Now, it's about maximising revenue. And yet we don't have a breakdown.

The GAA don't even fully own this. How much goes back into RTE? A well-know corrupt organization engaging in financial malpractice and overspending on the ridiculous. It's financial departments can't even trace its money.

Burns says RTE have the figures on profit… he didn't know… Let me repeat that. He didn't know.

I don't know how alarm bells are not ringing on this. It's utter madness.

We don't know how many football facilities and hurling facilities outside of munster will get this money?

Why is the blood, sweat, and tears of Munster hurling going toward provinces who can't paddle their own canoe? Why is Munster being punished for its own success? That should be Munster revenue.

Perhaps that was quite the line in the 1950s, I'm not sure…

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭C4000

The GAA's share of GAAGO profits in 2023 was 758,355 euros.

Gaago also have free access to a lot of matches a couple of days after broadcast. You'd need an account to watch them back but don't have to pay.

• Advertisement

It's in their published financial statement for 2023.

Advertisement