Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet around the home

Options
  • 05-12-2022 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wired my house to a central point under stairs.

Have a cat6 in the ceiling on ground floor, 4 behind each tv and 5 in the attic.

What's best units to set up wifi?

Unifi access points any good from a Poe network switch fed via fiber.

2 internal walls are 2 foot thick, will the signal travel through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Unifi are as good as any other in that grade, for multi unit setup/managment ease you might want to run controller. Unless they changed, you could install it on VM and shutdown it once setup completed

Aruba "Instant On" (HP, not to be mixed with "HP Instant") does not require controller install as all this done on web portal.

2.4GHz potentialy will penetrate 2ft, but still will degrade severelly, might not be usable. Floors/ceilings might be no so thick and if not concrete should pass better - consider signal distribution from above the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I have a few cat6 left underfloor boards and in the attic in case wifi is killed by the walls.

I'll go with unifi lite I think, the units are neat, I guess it'll be trial and error with the amount of units I'll need.

Advertisement