Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2023)

Options
  • 06-12-2022 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭

Jimmy Kimmel is back as host

In regard to Irish interest, The Banshees of Inisherin could feature in many categories especially acting, Aftersun for Paul Mescal getting buzz as is Jessie Buckley for Women Talking

Brendan Fraser is front runner for The Whale depending though how the Academy will take his GG decline attendance

Steven Spielberg's semi bio The Fabelmans also gaining a lot of buzz praise especially Michelle Williams

The big question has to be is Will Smith back to apologise and present as a past winner

Comments

I hate how the oscars has become such a mockery over the last 5 years or so. I wish there was a way back for it, but each year the shambles seems to compound!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's not even a gradual decline. But it is continuous.

Maybe it's the view from outside, but I don't see any way back because I don't think anyone within the confines of the circle know/care. They're oblivious, and have too much power or control to be held accountable for it.

Ricky Gervais will call them out for being hypocrites "Come up, thank your god, collect your award and F off". They'll appear shocked, laugh, and nod in agreement. Then they'll go back into Hollywood mode, and deliver their PR piece on stage as per.

Laugh at Chris Rock, and then give Will Smith a standing ovation moments later.

On the awards. I've been a bit poor with new movies this year:

While I've not seen The Whale, I would love Brendan Fraser to decline a Golden Globe, and win an Oscar - just because it's not the way things usually go, and he's always seemed like a decent sort.

Hope to see Banshee of Inisherin do well , and that Everything, Everywhere is in the conversation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

National Board of Review Winners

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2022/12/08/national-board-of-review-announces-winners-2/

Best Film:  Top Gun: Maverick

Best Director: Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans

Best Actor: Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

Best Supporting Actress: Janelle Monáe, Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Best Original Screenplay: Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin

Best Adapted Screenplay: Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell, All Quiet on the Western Front

Breakthrough Performance:  Danielle Deadwyler, Till

Breakthrough Performance: Gabriel LaBelle, The Fabelmans

Best Directorial Debut: Charlotte Wells, Aftersun

Best Animated Feature:  Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

Best International Film: Close

Best Documentary: Sr.

Best Ensemble: Women Talking

Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography: Claudio Miranda, Top Gun: Maverick

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/golden-globes-nominations-list-nominees-2-1235455667/

Best Motion Picture, Drama

“Avatar: The Way of Water” (20th Century Studios) 

“Elvis” (Warner Bros.) 

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) 

“Tár” (Focus Features) 

“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures)

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures) 

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) 

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) 

“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” (Netflix) 

“Triangle of Sadness” (Neon) 

Best Director, Motion Picture

James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of Water”) 

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 

Baz Luhrmann (“Elvis”) 

Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 

Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture

“Tár” (Focus Features) — Todd Field 

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) — Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert 

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) — Martin McDonagh 

“Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) — Sarah Polley 

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) — Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

Austin Butler (“Elvis”) 

Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”) 

Hugh Jackman (“The Son”)

Bill Nighy (“Living”) 

Jeremy Pope (“The Inspection”) 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

Cate Blanchett (“Tár”) 

Olivia Colman (“Empire of Light”) 

Viola Davis (“The Woman King”) 

Ana de Armas (“Blonde”) 

Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)  

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Lesley Manville (“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”) 

Margot Robbie (“Babylon”) 

Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Menu”) 

Emma Thompson (“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”) 

Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Diego Calva (“Babylon”) 

Daniel Craig (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”)

Adam Driver (“White Noise”) 

Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 

Ralph Fiennes (“The Menu”) 

Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture

Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 

Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 

Brad Pitt (“Babylon”)

Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 

Eddie Redmayne (“The Good Nurse”)

Best Supporting Actress, Motion Picture

Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”) 

Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”) 

Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”) 

Dolly De Leon (“Triangle of Sadness”)

Carey Mulligan (“She Said”)

Best Original Score, Motion Picture

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) — Carter Burwell

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) — Alexandre Desplat 

“Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) — Hildur Guðnadóttir 

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures) — Justin Hurwitz 

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) — John Williams  

Best Picture, Non-English Language

“All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany) 

“Argentina, 1985” (Argentina) 

“Close” (Belgium) 

“Decision to Leave” (South Korea) 

“RRR” (India) 

Best Original Song, Motion Picture

“Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing” (Sony Pictures) — Taylor Swift 

“Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) — Alexandre Desplat, Roeban Katz, Guillermo del Toro 

“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures) — Lady Gaga, BloodPop, Benjamin Rice

“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Marvel Studios) — Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler 

“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR” (Variance Films) — Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, Rahul Sipligunj 

Best Motion Picture, Animated

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) 

“Inu-Oh” (GKIDS) 

“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On” (A24) 

“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” (DreamWorks Animation) 

“Turning Red” (Pixar) 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*breathes in*

The Oscars are bullshít and have always been bullshít and their dominance within film conversation and what are "officially" good movies year-to-year is itself, also bullshít. Not having a go at you ElRifle specifically, but 5 years? They've been bullshít for 50+ and when you actually tot up the movies - or actors - that have been snubbed over the years, one quickly realises that there was never some golden period where the ceremony was the arbiter of cinematic taste.

Just even reading these myself and I cannot believe Richard Burton never won an Oscar - that's insane. Or indeed Steve McQueen. Richard Burton, though?? Even the idea Al Pacino only has a single gong is nuts (albeit spawning the one good joke in Jack and Jill). You can pick a dozen examples of those kind of bonkers snubs as proof positive how his ceremony constantly gets an outsized narrative, every year, when it doesn't deserve to.

• Advertisement

Look I generally agree with you, but I would say the oscars while they had their faults, were generally pretty reputable and while some questionable decisions were made, good films were winning awards even if potentially better films were not. It was also always an enjoyable year event for me, I would get excited about it. And excited to see all the films nominated as generally whether they should have been winning or not, nominations for best picture were always good if not great pieces of work.

As someone who dabbled in film scores, my hero Ennio was snubbed for decades because he wouldn't take the lower salaries offered to American composers and wouldn't move to LA. So I know the story of the politics etc.

BUT, the last 5 years or so they have fallen off a cliff. We always saw liberalism, but the organisation went beyond liberal and chose to go far left which was a huge mistake because when organisations go too far be it left or right you start to alienate the majority who are mostly somewhere around the centre, and left or right leaning. By coming across as Woke and hyper sensitive to everything to do with black people, whether you would agree with that terminology or not, the oscars said goodbye to 50% of its audience and credibility. Jada Smith started that ball rolling when Will didn't win the Oscar for concussion. That is literally the day it started and the whole organisation had to change its policies after that and went so far as to not let Kevin Hart host because of a tweet a decade old he already apologised for. It went so far with that policy it ate itself.

So the organisation now is not what it was in the 90's or early 2000's when I got plenty of enjoyment from the Oscars, I would either stay up or download it and watch the whole show. Now I will glance at the results, and cringe when Top Gun wins best motion picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I was hoping The Quiet Girl was going to get a nomination in either the Oscars or Golden Globe, its a pity it didn't get a mention, I thought it was a beautiful and refreshing film.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This year's Golden Globes had the second-lowest viewership in its history. Excellent. Hopefully between this and last year's nonsense we can look forward to it going extinct soon.

Brendan and Cate took the top acting awards at the Critics Choice Awards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Andrea Risborough for Best Actress then.

I think Adam Sandler could be a surprise nominee

👀

Brilliant day for the Irish, it must be said. That best actress category though.... 😬 I'm pretty sure Blanchett has it wrapped up, so it doesn't really matter, but still....

BEST PICTURE

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Banshees of Inisherin

Elvis

Everything Everywhere All at Once

The Fabelmans

Tár

Top Gun: Maverick

Triangle of Sadness

Women Talking

BEST ACTOR

Austin Butler, Elvis

Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin

Brendan Fraser, The Whale

Paul Mescal, Aftersun

Bill Nighy, Living

All Quiet is a surprise: wouldn't have said it made much of a splash, critically or culturally, that it might be rewarded with a nod. Might be that it's a generational update of a pretty timeless (instructive?) movie?

Of all the Best Pictures, I'd like to see Everything Everywhere All At Once walk away with the award; it's a bit of a nice surprise that it even got the nomination, but it was such a messy, oddball piece of entertainment it'd be the capper to a great wee story of (modest) success.

Delighted to see Brian Tyree Henry get a nomination in supporting.

The Sea Beast getting into Animated was a nice surprise too. I was still desperately hoping they'd see the light and nominate My Father's Dragon, but it wasn't to be. I'm now desperately hoping literally anything will beat Pinocchio on the night.

Nice to see Paul Mescal in the mix. Haven't seen all the films there, but of the ones I have, his performance moved me the most. I did only watch it last night mind, so some recency bias maybe.

I'd like to see EEAAO win best film for the simple fact it's fun. All the talk around a lot of the other nominees there has been way too serious, like Top Gun saved the cinemas, and Avatar is changing the future, blah, blah, blah.... give me rocks with googly eyes any day of the week.

Exactly. Top Gun and Avatar get spoken off as the "crowd pleaser" but as flawed as it was I had an absolute blast with Everything Everywhere... Its goofiness might have been a high barrier of entry for some, but once it got going, had legitimately stirring & exciting action amidst the insanity of the occasional butt-plug.

Of course, the other reason it won't win is because like Horror flicks, Comedies rarely get the nod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a pretty middling best picture line-up - Tár is far and away the best of them, even if I do quite like two or three of the others. But I'm really baffled by Triangle of Sadness continuing to stick around in both best picture and director. The middle, vomit-heavy hour is great fun and Dolly De Leon would deserve a nomination (which she didn't get), but it's so wildly uneven that its runaway awards and festival success remains bizarre. Especially when you have the likes of Aftersun, Decision to Leave, even RRR out there failing to make the cut, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

woo hoo..

delighted about An Cailin Cuin

must watch Aftersun

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett, Tár

Ana de Armas, Blonde

Andrea Riseborough, To Leslie

Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway

Judd Hirsch, The Fabelmans

Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin

Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Hong Chau, The Whale

Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once

• Advertisement

My inability to finish Decision to Leave means I remain a little baffled why this is getting plaudits; the little flourishes of Hitchcock are cute, but just can't buy into the central crux of the thing, and even 30 minutes in found the thing beginning to drag.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

All Quiet on the Western Front

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

Living

Top Gun: Maverick

Women Talking

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Banshees of Inisherin

Everything Everywhere All at Once

The Fabelmans

Tár

Triangle of Sadness

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish

The Sea Beast

Turning Red

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Decision To Leave is a remarkable feat of filmmaking - absolutely overflowing with dense yet playful compositional and editing choices that are perfectly suited to the story it is telling. It's a film that took me a while to settle into its sheer assault of imagery yet I was engrossed once I found a way in. Far from being a mere Hitchcock homage, I thought it was Park very much bringing his unique sensibilities to an old-school erotic psychological thriller (albeit with amusingly little sex).

And in a just world Tang Wei would be getting all the awards - comfortably my single favourite performance of 2022 :)

I was really enjoying Decision To Leave for the first like 90 minutes, but then it switched location and it just felt like an unnecessary extra film on top of the first film. Visually though, it's fantastic, and Tang Wei definitely was awards worthy.

I'd prefer one of the Michelles to win but Cate as always gives a tour de force performance

I haven't seen them all yet, but by all accounts Williams shouldn't be in that category. I enjoyed Everything, Everywhere.... but I can't say Yeoh's performance was anything special. Hsu's performance was the standout for me from that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Top Gun for best Picture and Adapted Screenplay?

Sorry what?

And what was it adapted from, the well known novel and Broadway musical??

Sequels are considered adapted works as they're based on existing characters and ideas. Hence why Glass Onion also made the cut in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very interesting, thanks.

• Advertisement

Apparently the Risborough nomination is being investigated by the academy now to see if it breached their rules.

Advertisement