Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched the first half hour of Everything Everywhere ... last night. Couldn't get to see the rest of it. It looks really good. I loved the first half hour anyway. Does it maintain that momentum throughout. It's quite a long film. Can't wait to settle into it tonight.

I watched about 25 mins of Aftersun last weekend. Really really slow. I switched over to something else after the 25 mins. I'm really finding it difficult to get myself to start into it again. There was a scene of him smoking a ciggie - which went on for about 4 minutes, and nothing happened, except him smoking and a little dance. Does it get any better. I'm not looking for another Die Hard type film, just a little more activity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

EEAAO is a lot of fun. I've seen people say there were pacing issues, personally I didn't find that, and I didn't find the run time at all. Maybe if I thought about it a bit there may have been some level of repetitiveness as it went on, or one or two scenes that were just there to be silly, but overall I thought it flowed really well. If you've only watched half an hour of it I'm not even sure you've gotten to where it really takes off?

There's no real action in Aftersun. It's a very slow film, where not a lot is happening on the surface. It's definitely a cumulative kind of thing. Personally I found it pretty engaging throughout and was really floored by the end, but if after half an hour you're still waiting for something to happen then it might just not be your kind of film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't get my head around this, seems totally absurd and basically a nasty takedown campaign. I think there's no chance of her nomination been rescinded and even if it was it wouldn't result in Davis and Deadwyler taking her place, neither of whom would have any chance of winning anyway. Feel sorry for Riseborough whose nomination is now tainted.

They've said if she was removed nobody would take her spot, there'd just be the 4 nominees.

Apparently there's very strict rules about campaigning and you're not supposed to be seen to be actually trying to influence voters. Which is why the campaigns are usually "For Your Consideration" campaigns, rather than "Please Vote For Me" campaigns.

One of the rules says you're not allowed to mention the competition and apparently there was an Instagram post that quoted a review mentioning Cate Blanchett. They've now taken it down, but it may be a problem for them.

If you belive the stories Risborough had very little to do with it and it was the wife of the director who spearheaded the whole thing. They apparently spent more money than they'd like you to think too.

It's all very messy really, and it's a shame because Risborough has given many excellent performances and probably deserves to have been nominated before, bit whatever happens now, this one will always have a cloud over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It is incredibly nasty. Whatever happens with this "investigation" her name has been tarnished, or there will be a "cloud" over her career as the poster above put it. Through no fault of her own beyond a group deciding to push her nomination. Let's not forget Ana De Armas either and all the abuse she has been getting.

I imagine what will happen is that the nominations will increase from next year in all actor/director categories to 7-8.

• Advertisement

Riseborough gets to keep her nomination, and the people responsible for the social media campaign will be dealt with directly by the Academy, whatever that means. I saw Frances Fisher's name thrown around quite a bit, she was the one posting the exact number of #1 votes they needed to secure to get Riseborough a nomination, and she also posted about how Blanchett, Williams, and Davis were guaranteed nominations, which is apparently a big no no. (She also, strangely, edited that post after the nominations were announced to include Deadwyler in the list of actresses locked in for a nomination.)

Will be interesting to see if she actually wins it now, I'd nearly want it to happen just for **** and giggles.

https://variety.com/2023/awards/news/andrea-riseborough-keeps-oscar-nomination-to-leslie-investigation-1235507099/

• Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Will Smith can keep his Oscar after violence on stage at a presenter, this nomination campaigning is a storm in a small tea cup

I feel like Will Smith was a storm in a teacup, really. He's been banned from the Oscars for 10 years too. All a bit much for what was a stupid embarrassing decision on his part.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I watched To Leslie the other day and ironically it's exactly the sort of performance the Academy traditionally does throw a nomination at - especially in the 2000s when there was regularly some tiny indie film represented among the big hitters. I do feel bad for Riseborough getting caught up in it all - she's a talented actress, and she gives a good performance, so it's a shame it's been caught up in all this bullshit. Didn't think much of the film as a whole though - exactly the sort of 'gritty' yet sentimental character study that were a dime a dozen not so long ago.

The irony of it all is that these days actual violence is less important than the 'violence' of words. Whoever thought we would arrive at that point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

i simply adore it - have rewatched a few of my fav scenes a few times since seeing it in full..

and yes like someone said - was thinking about it the whole day after I went to see it in cinema...

tis indeed like a McDonagh play - but on screen rather than stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

was he banned from attending the oscars or kicked off the membership? or both?

He resigned himself from the Academy before they decided their punishment. They then banned him from the ceremony or other oscars related events for 10 years. He is, as far as I know, still eligible to be nominated and potentially win the award. He just wouldn't be allowed to go and accept it.

gotcha

All Quiet on the Western Front best film winner at Baftas also for best director

Not sure that film will be viewed quite as well stateside, unfortunately.

It got 9 nominations at the Oscars so they obviously liked it a bit.

I'm surprised it won the big ones at BAFTA, to be honest. It deserves all the technical awards but it's not really that great a film beyond the sensory experience of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Totally agree.

I thought Tár would get the nod but it attracted some gender-based controversy (a guaranteed buzz-killer). Isn't it more weird on the anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine to honour a movie which portrays trench warfare as irredeemably horrific and meaningless?

As I said last year on the Netflix thread when All Quiet was released:

A superb production but the violence is stomach-churning and the narrative is ultimately unsatisfactory. It strays a long way from the book and loses much of the book’s power, especially because we don’t see the soldiers back home.

The final half-hour is a major let down - I expected it would deal with the problems of the soldiers coming home in defeat (not something Hollywood can portray, even after Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.). The sympathy I felt for Paul, the central character, had evaporated by the end. 

It is good to have a war film which does not try to justify the soldiers’ brutality by reference to a particular mission (Saving Private Ryan!) but this film lacks any moral context, apart from a couple of caricatures of Prussian militarism and German nationalism. The brutal futility of WWI is a valid theme and the shadow of Hitler is always in the background of this film but what does it have to say about war today, especially for Germans?

Are Ukrainian soldiers not engaged in a heroic struggle for their country’s freedom? If they are victorious, they will be true heroes. Even if they are defeated, their courage and fighting capabilities will be admired. What about the Kurdish fighters who defeated ISIS? Surely they fought in a just cause? This film doesn’t have any room for the idea that, in certain rare and extreme situations, war may be an evil necessity when even the lowliest foot-soldier shares in a sense of mission.

All Quiet is an anti war work though, written by someone who was there and witnessed the horror and returned to see how futile it all was, so I don't think they needed to come along in 2022 and adapt it from a "war is bad, but sometimes its not" point of view. That, in my opinion, would have been even worse than what they did do with it.

My problems with this film, for what it's worth, was simply how little I cared about the characters. I know war is bad, I know WW1 trench warefare was particularly horrific, I know the people calling the shots were not the people on the front line dying in their hundreds of thousands. Aside from a few pretty impressive set pieces, this didn't really have anything about it that made it stand out from a lot of other films about WW1. They removed the bits from the book and first film that humanised the main character. I mean, he could have died 10 minutes into this version and the camera could have started following literally anyone else and I'd have been exactly the same level of invested.

Of course it's entirely possible this was a deliberate decision, intended to strip all the men of any sort of personality to emphasise the fact they were all completely disposable and it didn't matter what they thought of the war, or how their lives at home were changed, or anything outside of them being another dead body in the mud. But unfortunately I don't think that's what they were going for.

Long story short, impressive battlefield sequences aside, there are a lot of other films set in and around this period of history that do a better job of being complete films.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a vaguely related note I'm watching Powell and Pressberger's The Life and Death Of Colonel Blimp, and as a 1943 work, it's fascinating how ... different its WW1 trenches are rendered, tonally compared with how we think of them now. The resting default visual and thematic language of the war has become about the vulgarity and hubris of the Officer Class and above; the waste of life on an industrial scale caused by the indifference of supposed social betters. All Quiet On the Western Front probably the slow burn towards that change.

...Blimp has the mud and blasted landscapes, but there's a weird, I dunno, jauntiness to it all that really doesn't gel with subsequent movies, TV and novels. The film is so gentle in its scoffing at how its upper-crust lead (by now a Brigadier) has become out of touch with warefare - never even hinting that his archaic attitudes probably sent men to their deaths by the dozens.

Just listening to the Letterboxd awards season podcast, and they were discussing All Quiet sweeping at the BAFTAs. Their London editor was explaining how BAFTA membership works and she was saying its a paid membership, and there's annual fees, and that basically a lot of people actually working in the British film industry can't afford membership, so the voting body is not a real reflection of the diversity and opinions of the British film industry.

She also mentioned the weird British/Irish naming of the categories and how people still shorten it to British, which leads to awkwardness when Irish people win things, and how basically very few undeniably British films/talent were actually awarded.

I'm guessing the BAFTAs are trying to be a big international player in Awards season, but it is really weird how they don't celebrate British talent and films as much as they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just to note technically Banshees is a British-American produced film. So that's why it qualified under Best British Film at the BAFTAs.

So if it wins an Oscar, expect to see headlines about a British film win.

The Banshees of Inisherin was produced by British film producers and longtime McDonagh collaborators Graham Broadbent and Pete Czernin of Blueprint Pictures, with additional funding from UK-based Film4 and US film backers TSG Entertainment.

https://www.buzz.ie/movies/baftas-2023-banshees-of-inisherin-29260405

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Everything Everywhere All at Once the big winner at SAG in film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be delighted if EEaaO wins big; every now and again the Oscars get it right. Let's hope it's this year.

James Hong's energy is something to behold: 94 years old and you'd never really think it. Great to see him get his dues, after such a long career being one of the quintessential That Guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

If he had done that to a woman or if will Smith was white it would have been treated differently

Come on man white people and women don't matter anymore.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I notice that the odds for Banshees and Farrell have lengthened.

Advertisement