Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Awards (Oscars 2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭sporina

woo hoo.. not long now..

can I assume that there will be lots of highlights on youtube?

I won't be watching it online in real time... hope to see some highlights online on Monday though - too long to wait for RTE2 2 tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 86,494 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In acting I'm hoping for Colin, Michelle, Jamie and Barry wins

I'd like Todd Field to win director

I think Martin McD will get screenplay win

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't think we're winning anything tonight. Except the guy who worked on VFX on Avatar. Maybe the short film too.

It was on RTÉ last night, on BBC tonight too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haven't ever stayed up to watch an Oscars; even before I got salty about their value, I just like my sleep too much 🤣

It's like the Budget where I prefer to ignore it, then tune in when the dust settles and the results are in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The show itself is totally insufferable to boot - inane hosting and that glitzy, polished American award show style that I find barely watchable. Could never manage to suffer through it, especially when there’ll be a list of winners available first thing in the morning and short video clips of anything worth seeing.

Saying that, best of luck to the Irish contingent. Would be exceedingly satisfying to see An Cailín Ciúin in particular defy the ‘All Quiet’ shaped odds and win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Guardian has no wins for anything Oirish tonight, and they got 11 out of 12 right last year. Even have the best supporting actress going to Wakanda Forever and most of the others to EEAAO and I would imagine they definitely want to tick some diversity boxes.

Personally I found Aftersun to be the best film I've seen in a long time, my favourite since Cold War which I think won the best foreign language Oscar.

I didn't find the acting anything special in Banshees but sure who knows they might pick up at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'll watch it, I usually do. I love when the relevant nominees smile in awe and mutual respect, when the winner is announced. Knowing that they're all expert at acting, all I can think is, I don't believe any of you, you're all pretending to be happy, ha!

Caught up with Triangle Of Sadness, and The Whale today, and rewatched Aftersun. Failed on a 2nd attempt at EEAAO, just didn't do it for me.

I think Paul Mescal's performance was special, but I guess the odds are stacked against him winning. Fingers crossed for Kerry Condon and An Irish Goodbye.

Kerry Condon and Jamie Lee Curtis look stunning on the "champagne carpet"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think both supporting categories should go to EEAAO, but it should be Hsu not JLC for actress.

Think the carpet is pretty boring this year. So much black. Looks like a slightly slutty funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brendan Gleeson's art deco era dinner jacket is the business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I like Ke Huy Quan but I think Barry Keoghan deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

First three awards gone to right three I'd say. Jamie Lee Curtis (service put in was gonna tip it her way TBH) though she put in a memorable performance so can't complain.

Pinocchio, while not top tier, was surely gonna be rewarded on a purely technical level.

Wanted Kerry Condon to win more than any of the other Banshee nominees. Looking like Everything, Everywhere... is going to do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Looks like Everything Everywhere All At Once is going to clean up. Off to bed so.

Angela Bassett was some ignorant cow when JLC was called out, never broke a smile, applauded or stood up.

Yes dear, you might feel you got robbed, but its called grace and dignity.

The early categories are like a missile strike, four Irish nominees taken out already!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not the biggest fan of Everything, Everywhere… but still I won’t be complaining too much if it does manage the sweep (also going to bed shortly so will find out in the morning 😂). Hard to imagine a year ago that the quirky, butt-plug filled multiverse action comedy would go that far - even more so than Parasite, it’s the type of film the Oscars don’t usually go in for. So while it may not have been among my favourites of the year, it’d still be pretty refreshing to see a film like it sweep the board.

Although whatever about the rest of the awards, Ke Huy Quan is one of the most deserved Oscar winners in a while - what a fantastic comeback :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Literally just finished watching everywhere... Before the Oscars started.i think it's a great film and deserves its 2 wins so far

Wakunda forever was boring and stupid in comparison

Yes! What a win for an Irish Goodbye and a happy birthday rendition for James from the stars!

The feels lads.

An Irish Goodbye picks up an award......haven't seen it, so can't comment.

No surprise seeing Navalny winning as well. Could be a worthy win, but good for US TV shall we say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Congratulations to the 'irish goodbye' crew

First I've heard it and watched the trailer

Already in tears and I'm a grown man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I love the score from All Quiet on the Western Front, so hauntingly good.

Original Score went to All Quiet in the end - not a great crop this year IMO, but a worthy winner

Also picked up Production Design and International Film

Visual effects goes to the video game look of Avatar

Another Irish winner in the team with Avatar for visual effects

Colin gets a dig in on SNL for their skit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

They have time for an ad for their own museum, and Kimmel's non-funny schtick, but lots of recipients getting played off before they've a chance to even start speaking. It's a terrible production.

Nice little acknowledgement for James Hong

Everything Everywhere takes original screenplay

Thought McDonagh might win the screenplay award but not to be.

Women Talking takes the adapted.

Haven't seen it, but it certainly wasn't up against much in that lineup

Sarah Polley has come a long way

• Advertisement

It looks that way, surprised it took screenplay as Martin McD had been winning all previously on the circuit

Advertisement