Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain skipping again

Options
  • 06-12-2022 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭

I replaced the chain and cassette on my bike about 6-7 weeks ago because the chain was worn and skipping. This fixed the problem for about 4 weeks however over the last 2 weeks the chain started skipping again and has got more pronounced lately. What could possibly be causing this. Could it be the chainring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Could be jockey wheels or spring tension in the ear mech, unlikely it's the chain rings but they could also be worn if the chain was badly worn.

In what way is it skipping? Chain riding up into another gear or actually seems to be slipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

It slips when I put pressure on the pedals i.e going up hill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have a chain wear tool?

it's possible your chainrings are worn which will greatly increase chain wear. you could take a photo of the chainrings and post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Anotherthing to check is the new chain being too long

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Do you mean the chain ring slips forward when under pressure? If so, it sounds like a worn chain ring as the teeth are not holding the chain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

How do you know? Serious question. Does it just skip a little or alot (in regards distance)?

Are the teeth on the chainring all straight? is there flex in the crankarms? Do the chainring teeth look like points/shark fins or more like mini hills with plateaus on top (my descriptive abilities are poor)? What are your jockey wheels like? Does it jam anywhere when it slips?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Have someone pedal alongside you when cycling up hill. It could be a number of things but I'd suspect the chains binding in the rear mech for some reason. The reason I don't suspect the front chain ring is it's usually a chain off and plums meet top tube job when it happens particularly uphill. Assuming your cassette is on correctly and no issues with free hub.

The reason I ask are you sure if it's slipping it could be poor indexing causing it to creep onto another cog and then slipping off. I'd try get someone looking at it as you ride first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Can you be a little more precise with what you mean by 'skipping'?

Is it happening at the rear cassette or the front chain rings?

Does it slip or lunge when you put pressure on the pedals? i.e. feel like the pedals are giving way under the pressure.

Is it making a 'clickity click' noise as you pedal and is this noise alleviated/aggravated by putting a little pressure on the shift lever?

With the wheel removed, does the cassette move when you attempt to 'rock' it about the axle?

Does it feel like there is excessive sidewards play in either jockey wheel (this can be hard to determine with the chain in place).

Lots of questions but chain noise and indexing issues have many causes.

Advertisement