Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Motor terminal is live?

Options
  • 06-12-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I just got a new cross flow fan for a fridge I have. The old type is not available anymore so I was advised to get a 'Universal' one.

This however has no markings as to which spade in live in or neutral. (the old one was a plug type in Live, Neutral, Earth type order)

Can anybody tell from the photos which is the live terminal or is there some type of continuity test I can do to determine which is which?

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

either way will work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It doesn't seem to have any markings so either way

There's earth markings on it but i don't see any terminals

It will probably have to rely on a "chassis" connection I assume . You can check continuity from plug earth to fan body.

I thought most appliance components had a separate terminal as well as the chassis connection , could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Thanks for the replies. Just out of curiosity, if the terminals are 'reversed' will the fan spin in reverse also?

There is a connection point on the chassis for an earth alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

No it'll go same way pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Correct. It's a uni-directional motor and the winding inside makes it rotate one-way-only.

Same contruction as this one I have here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Thanks for all the replies and the all information given. Hopefully all will run well when I install it.

Thanks,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Just as a note, to reverse them ye flip over the central laminated core relative to the rest of the assembly so that the copper rings are now positionally reversed about the rotor axis. The rotor rotates from the winding poles toward the copper rings direction regardless of how they are connected.

Advertisement