Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing storage heater options

Options
  • 06-12-2022 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Looking for advice on replacing storage heaters - gas, heat pump etc not an option so question is do we get all modern on demand panel heaters or upgrade the storage heaters to the newer models of storage heater.

Background

We are a middle floor apartment built in the mid nineties and have two large storage heaters in apartment in hall and kitchen/living area and old style panel heaters in the bedrooms. Our water is immersion heated and we currently avail of a day/night tariff. Our bills are surprisingly very manageable and we find the heat efficiency of the storage heaters decent. We rarely use the bedroom heaters. I think overall the heat retention in the apartment is pretty good. We are replacing the storage heater in the kitchen/living area as it is being renovated and the current dimplex one is very bulky and a bit of a eyesore (some sort of corrosion has set in) and I would worry about the safety. We spend a lot of time in the apartment day to day.

A lot of people are advising to go to the modern panel heaters (Farho, ATC, Ecovolt) as they are more efficient and can be controlled from phone (tbh I am not to fussed about controlling anything from my phone) but when I look at the current rates for electricity it seems mad to me as the night rate €23.36c is less than half the day rate of €48.70c. The standard rate on 24hr plan is €44.44c so not much cheaper.

We are keeping the immersion water heating so I am leaning towards staying on the day/night rate for that alone but wonder if putting in more modern storage heater is a mistake? It seems people are moving away from them at a rapid pace and I can't figure out why. My worry is that we will put in on demand panel heaters and actually end up paying more each month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the energy efficiency of all elec heating elements is as close to 100% as makes no difference so beware of dubious claims about efficiency.

The modern ones may have more controls, perhaps better insulation, which may lead to more control over releasing the stored heat, but to describe one elec heater as being more electrically efficient than the other is close to misinformation.

The other measure of efficiency I have seen is that a smaller mass can store more heat, but again this won't impact your bill.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement