Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning out - should I tell manager?

Options
  • 06-12-2022 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

I work for s great company, and going into the critical phase of projects.

My wife's cancer is back and we don't know how long she has til the treatment kicks in.

I've had a knock to my energy levels since I got my COVID booster and am beyond exhausted.

Im limping towards Xmas and sleeping on my breaks.

My manager wants to know why I want more leave over Xmas.

Any advice on what I should say?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Start with your doctor, a burnout is a medical condition that needs to be diagnosed and treated just like any other illness. Taking a couple of extra weeks off won't fix the problem.

If you get certified by a doctor and I have no reason to think you won't, then you won't need to go into any personal details about your wife etc to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks for that. I don't want to go down that road as I'm afraid it will follow me.

Ill do it if i have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

Does your employer have some sort of employee assistance program or your health insurance. They might be worth discussing options with. I probably would talk to your manager too rather than just calling in sick they can try to put something in place. I would say don't try to just push through. You have limited energy and burn out is so hard to come back from try to head it off before it becomes insurmountable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Augme

What's your end hame here? Do you want them to know about your wife? How much leave do you want?

You won’t be much good to anyone including your wife if you end up with a complete burn out, will you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Don't...and I mean this...don't...give a second thought to what your job might want or not want. In 10 years they won't remember you.

Look after yourself and your wife. You will never regret doing that. Trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I used to go to bed exhausted, then wake up worse. Blood tests showed why. Go to the effing GP

You are absolutely right. Thanks for the common sense.

That's what I'm worried about. What fallout could there be that would end it up in the wrc? Have you ever heard of any similar cases by any chance?

Great advice on joining SIPTU, thanks. For peace of mind if it all gets messy somehow.

What are you curious about?

That guy is brilliant! Lol thanks. I'm hard wired to be the opposite, but it's not working for me

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Thanks all, i didn't realise how stressed I am til I see your replies in black and white.

My manager also asked what cover I would have in place for my leave. This really annoyed me, as there is no-one. Is it normal to be asked to arrange your own cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Arranging your own cover? No, that's your managers job to sort out. You're right to be annoyed with that question. Ask them who they you want to handover your work to.

No job is worth burnout. Look after yourself and your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would tell your boss about your wife's situation. Suggest that you retain certain tasks, but that others be taken on by someone else. Depending on the circumstances at work, it will depend on whether you keep the critical parts of projects or not.

Is it your place to invite your boss for an early lunch to do this?

You could ask your GP / your wife's consultant if there is a counsellor that you could speak to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Off site, write down time and detail of each conversation.

Best practice, but in light of that statement from your manager, even more so.

Go to doc and mind yourself.

Being off on stress leave is not an occurrence that follows (in most job types) CV, history or references.

Your consultations with the doctor are private and he certainly will not disclose them to anyone without your permission. Any medical certificate they issue will not contain details of your condition. And even if the company were to ask you to attend their company doctor, he will not disclose details of your condition either he will just confirm to the company your GPs certification.

And the other thing is that if you don't seek treatment and do suffer a complete burn out then you'll have to go through the same process in any case.

I'd say it very much depends on your level in the organisation, the type of work you do and the management style. For instance in a grid management environment your line manager might not understand the work you do and would no have a clue as to who or how cover could be arranged, so it would be reasonable to expect you'd have to give some kind of input on how cover can be arranged. On the other hand if you are one of a team where everyone is doing similar tasks and the manager is responsible for scheduling, you should not have to give any input. But regardless, telling Joe or Mary that they have to cover for you is the managers job, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Very strange in my book that a manager "wants to know why I want more leave".

None of your f**king business, maybe?

Well we don't actually know what kind of leave was requested... holidays, leave without pay etc....

Thanks very much Breezy.

Yes , stress in a box is good way of putting it.

Thanks - going to GP tomorrow :-)

I really appreciate all your time and great advice.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Agree with the posters above, focus on your wife and family. But one thing is, I dont think you should be falling asleep on your break regardless of how much pressure your under at work and I would tell this to you your doctor tomorrow. Get them to test your testosterone levels (its a blood sample) as you may have a deficiency, if you do its a simple fix and could do wonders for your energy levels.

• Advertisement

Hello.

I am so sorry for your situation. I think you need to be up front with your employer about what is going on, they have a duty of care to support you. Honesty is the best policy.

Would you consider making an application for carer's Leave from your job? The minimum is 13 weeks, but you could ask your job to accommodate a shorter break if you preferred. It would give you some breathing space for yourself, and time to look after yourself and your wife. Its possible as well to keep working up to 18 hours a week while receiving carer's benefit. It would relieve the stress of worrying about your job, at least as you would have protection. I can't post links but look up Carer's Leave and Carer's Benefit on google. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭fits

It’s carers benefit that isn’t means tested. Definitely worth looking into n

Thank you everyone.

Went to the GP and got a cert til Jan -no issues. Feeling a world better after time at home.

And my wife's prognosis is looking better after the treatment. The relief is amazing, even though the news is still not good.

Really appreciate your time and kind and helpful replies. You helped me get out from under all the stress.

Wishing you all a great Christmas ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭noahungry

I am so happy to hear this. I read the thread before but didn't have much to add since you already got some great advice, but now I have to say - thank you for the update. Have a lovely Christmas with your family and many more to come! 

Advertisement