Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy 1 or 2 meters of cable

Options
  • 06-12-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for small lengths of cable to wire a gas boiler (getting a new one, old wiring not up to existing code).

I need about 1 or 2 meters of 4 core and less than 10m of 10sq earth wire.

Woodies used to have reels of cable where you could cut it yourself, the site does not list this anymore. Screwfix just has fixed lengths too.

Dublin, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Go to an electrical wholesaler they'll cut you whatever length you want in either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Only a rgi is permitted to work on a gas boiler

only a rec is permitted to work on the distribution board (if that’s wherever you are wiring the 10mm earth to)

time to get the professionals in op. If the gas boiler is being replaced then this rgi is permitted to connect the boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

@iwillhtfu thanks. My local place would only sell reels, but I found a place that will sell by the meter National Electrical Wholesalers on the Malahide Road, Marino if anyone else needs it.

@meercat I'm not installing the boiler myself, just the timer. I'll be fine doing it myself, I rewried the complete house 30 years ago (and yes I had to get the ESB in to inspect).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Means nothing

Esbn did very little inspecting before reci was setup

Phase tester into the main fuse checking polarity or a quick look around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Gusser09

if it''s just the timer you'll be fine as you say.

Amazon if you can wait a day or two for delivery?

Wouldn't be so sure , I can think of at least one major mistake the op could likely make here , only thinks he knows what he's doing in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Gotta love replies like this. Answer to a question that no one asked.

Since you seem to be prescient, can you help me too?

I just wired in a 3 zone boiler controller, plus I rewired the entire boiler / zone valves / tank thermostats system (original electrician who wired it made a balls of it so I had to fix it). Plus I added thermocouples and a relay board to my Eddi to control 3rd 2 way valve.

Can you tell me how many major mistakes I've likely to have made because I'm not 'RECI'? DO I also only think I know what I'm doing?

Fire up some pictures

Distribution board

Wiring and Fusing

Gas boiler wiring and isolation

No way to judge otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

Good for you , but you haven’t a leg to stand on if someone got a shock off your work ,

all lsf cable used ?

all local isolaters used ?

all rcbos used ?

IR test done ?

RE-RP done ?

continuity of all conductors?

loop test ?

rcd test @1 & @5 times ?

• Advertisement

Unlikely any of it done but sure he's competent he doesn't need any training, qualifications or test meters

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Its doubtful any reference was being made to reci status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I'm looking for small lengths of cable to wire a BLACK BOX (getting a new one, old wiring not up to existing code).

I just wired in a 3 zone BLACK BOX controller, plus I rewired the entire BLACK BOX / zone valves / tank thermostats system (original electrician who wired it made a balls of it so I had to fix it). Plus I added thermocouples and a relay board to my Eddi to control 3rd 2 way valve.

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

do B&Q sell cable cut bye the metre ?

You totally missed the point. Without helping answer the actual question the OP asked - You made some wild assertion that the OP " least one major mistake the op could likely make here" without any evidence that he wasn't qualified etc. Like just about every thread on this section, some mad RECI fan jumps in to assert that only people who have a fairly meaningless cert can work on anything electrical. Not helpful in the least.

I asked you what 'major mistake' I could have made and you suddenly reverse course and start asking for some evidence of quality of work etc. Do you not see the contradiction here?

No one with any brain doubts that a qualified electrician has knowledge above the average DIYer. I regularly ask advise of several electricians I work with / know if I have the least doubt about what I'm doing.

Instead of jumping in with the "get a RECI" answer, maybe try and do what the point of this place is and actually be helpful? Advise people what the pitfalls of DIY'ing it are, what they could do wrong etc. There's no issue making it absolutely clear they are breaking rules etc first and then saying but if you really aren't going to listen....

If you you don't want to do this or you feel it somehow is professionally compromising then just say nothing instead of derailing every thread with this "RECI everything" answer.

I noticed you went onto the PC / computer section and asked how to do something. How would you feel if everyone there said 'bring it to an expert, don't do anything ever yourself'? Would be a pretty pointless section wouldn't it?

And just to be clear. I feel comfortable rewiring stuff because I'm an engineer with more years of knowledge of electrical / electronic systems than you've ever dreamt of. Even so, I still ask for advise from electrician friends because I'm not arrogant enough to think I know everything and advise is generally cheap or free. But you didn't establish any background from either the OP or myself before you jumped to conclusions about our skills and knowledge.

That's the problem I know how little I know , I do know very litte

I didn't backtrack on the possible major mistake either , I just didn't say

Also can't equate PC problems with gas boiler wiring

You didn't even establish that much... mine's an oil boiler.

Equate? Not trying to in the way you're insinuating. Both things are equal when people are asking for advise. As I said, you could easily make the point that it's not wise / not safe / against rules etc. But answer the damned question after the provisor! Or just not post, it's not helpful and it just ties up threads with meaningless, protectionist crap. (IMHO).

Ya thought it was all the one poster on about boilers not 2

Anyway my point stands unqualified people won't comply with wiring rules as in the list posted up above

Your point about protectionist crap isn't true either , that's not what it's about

An unregistered person could if allowed work to the same standard as a registered person if they have the training and test meters

If I was undertaking the above jobs , I'm a qualified spark but I will make mistakes because I'm no longer a rec and not fully up to speed on IS10101

Unqualified untrained persons not fully conversant with wiring rules and possessing test equipment will make mistakes

The 2 posters above believe they are competent will not be aware of the issues with their work due to their limited knowledge

That's stating an important fact and its not having a go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What major mistake do you think they are likely to make?

• Advertisement

Local isolation 4-core to gas boiler

Not familiar with them could be wrong, first thing that comes to mind when op says 4-core depending where the switched spur is wired-in or fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭kirving

If it's a major, dangerous mistake, wouldn't it be far better to be upfront about what it is for safety's sake, rather than be so secretive about it?

The secrecy is what breeds the thoughts on protectionism, as it puts safety secondary to professional knowledge.

Saying "make sure to do XXX, but if you're not 100% sure, call an electrician" is a much more reasonable and helpful answer.

No point, you're effectively coaching someone

I'd prefer to point out the mistake if it's been shown to be made

There's a list of likely fails posted above

Do you think the posters should be given instructions on each of those and how to avoid them?

Do you believe they are competent to interpret those instructions?

Again not a personal attack but this idea of posters believing they will fully comply is a delusion

The alternative is that they go ahead anyway, without any knowledge of the potentially dangerous mistake. If the information is that important to safety, then withholding it isn't exactly in the spirit of promoting safe electrical systems.

If someone on the Motors forum was to ask where to buy a roll of brake line, it's unlikely to descend into a discussion of "bring it to the mechanic", "I can think of at lease one major mistake the OP could make here", without actually saying what that might be?

The list of test posted by @JL spark is helpful, of course, but to be honest I've yet to see an electrician pull out any test equipment whatsoever when doing minor work in my apartment (it was renovated just before I moved in, and a few electrical issued remained which required a few call-outs by different RECI's).

In any case, doesn't what the OP describes they want to do fall squarely in the definition of Minor Electrical Works, as it's a like-for-like replacement of a (timer) switch?

https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

• Registered Users Posts: 46,166 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thank God the OP didn't say he was going to rewire the local ESB substation!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Once it works, it must be done properly......

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

theres absolutely no way this is minor works

the op is looking for 10mts of 10mm earth which will need to be connected into the distribution board. This can only be done by a rec

the op also states that he’s only connecting the time clock and not connecting into the boiler itself (only a rgi is permitted to remove the cover of a gas boiler.)In my experience most boilers require a 4 or 5 core but I’ll take the op’s word that he’s not doing this connection

the op states that he Re wired the house 30 years ago. A lot of regulations have changed since

I wonder if there’s rcd protection on the boiler/pump circuit

if a new earth is being run to the boiler then I’d advise an independent,rcbo circuit is installed at the same time

im surprised you’ve had rec’s work in your apartment and no sign of any test equipment. Most competent rec’s would do a couple of quick tests before undertaking any electrical work.

Fair enough, thanks for your explanation, and advice on the RCBO. I didn't realise it would likely involve the distribution board.

I honestly think specific advice like you have posted makes people think seriously and seek a professional to do the work, rather than vague warnings about potential issues, which can easily be seen as scaremongering and protectionism (even if that's not the intention).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

OP here, been following this with interest! I don't want to get involved in heated exchanges with strangers on the internet, so I'll just say many thanks for the help!

Advertisement