Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil filled electric heaters

Options
  • 06-12-2022 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Hi,

Our Air to Water heating system in school is struggling to heat the school at the moment due to errors in the system. We were thinking of using oil filled electric heaters in some rooms to supplement the system until it is fixed.

Would running seven or eight heaters impact the electricity supply in the school? As far as i know we have three phase electricity coming in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It will affect the bill, but should be no issue running a few heaters in different rooms.

Keep the temp under 20c

I did some talks in schools last year and all three of them had stifling heat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Tow

The school caretaker should know how the phases are split up among the classrooms. The fact you have air to water points to a new build, so it should be ok. But then again your electrics were probability installed by the same company as the air to water system. Would this be the same company Northern Ireland company who skimps on ties between the inner and outer brickwork of multiple schools?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Older school with air to water installed 10 years ago. Not sure how the phases are running. I know there were storage heaters at some stage in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You should be able to plug in some heaters without issue

Buildings can have issues like overloading dangerous wiring, no way of knowing that without inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭cwboy

Thanks for the help. Plugged in eleven throughout the school with no issue.

• Advertisement

• Unless it's extremely old wiring, you're very unlikely to have problems and the MCBs will trip out if you overload circuits.

Just don't plug multiple heaters into the same double socket - oddly those are usually not rated for extended use at 13amps + 13amps. They're usually rated for a total of 20amps across both sockets.

I'm not sure what the logic was behind that, but for whatever reason those double socket plates are rated like that.

I'd be concerned about doing that in an old house with wiring from the days of screw in fuses, and particularly with large single ring circuits covering entire floors (more common in the UK).

Advertisement