Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions - New EV for sub €40,000?

• 06-12-2022 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice on making the move over to electric.

My 2004 Corolla, which I've had for 14 years is in need of changing. My commute to work is 106km round trip. We also do regualr trips to family 250km away which I would like to do without stopping if I wanted. I can install a home charge point.

I would like to keep the budget at €40,000 so in my mind that leaves me with the Ioniq 5 base model or the MG ZS. Is there any other EVs worth considering.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

The MG5 might be worth a look. Reading the MG zs thread, not sure you would ever get one.

Also, I know the list price for base spec Ioniq 5 is 39.9k, but suspect OTR is more. I'd thoroughly recommend it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I know the Ioniq 5 would go slightly over the 40k OTR but am willing to keep it on the table. Is the base level worth considering or will I be missing too many of the better extras.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i5

MG4

Leaf 62 kWh (is that in budget)

maybe second hand eNiro?

Model 3 hasnt hit that price point just yet for the first 2019 cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

is it just yourself or will there be kids and a partner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Id3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

An MG4 is a similar size as your Corolla and starts at about €29k on the road. A lot of car for the money.

People have asked you if you are buying new or second hand, but a new EV might be a good choice if you can find one available. The €5k SEAI grant still applies which makes budget EVs like the MG4 very good value (compared to similar ICE cars). The Ioniq 5 in base form is an excellent EV and great value, but availability is poor as you can imagine. Demand for EVs is getting higher by the day and the Koreans struggle to make enough of them. Nothing has changed on that in the last 6 years.

It would be my intention to buy new. There's 2 adults and 2 pre teen kids.

The Corolla is the second car in the house so has really only ever been used to commute to work. Our diesel car would do 30,000+kms a year. This would obviously come down significantly with the arrival of an electric car.

I don't like the look of the ID3 or the MG4. I wouldn't have been a fan of the SUV segment however the raised body certainly makes it easier to get in and out of which officially means I'm getting old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Lots of folks here saying there are base trim Ioniq 5s available for January collection if you order right now. That's probably your sweet spot - although winter range may not make that 250km journey without really grannying it.

Proud owner of base trim Ioniq 5 here, with 2 little ones (4 and almost 2) - the thing is cavernous. 2 rear facing car seats fit in back with space for 3rd adult passenger behind driver. We keep 3 buggies in the boot regularly, and plenty of space in the front (and frunk). Did our summer holidays to the continent in it no bother as well. The extremely fast DC charging helps too.

Re winter range, we get about 20kWh per 100km or so pottering around during the winter. So that implies winter range of about 290km, so as @MojoMaker said, in winter that would probably need a bit of management (and destination charging). However, in warmer weather it would be grand. (This summer we did single trips of about 300km, at 115kph for most of it, on a single charge. Probably consumed about 90% of battery)

290km winter pottering about might be <200kms deep winter motorway range unless really nursing it.

Fab car though. Anything missing on the base trim you're kicking yourself over @crisco10 ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's a fair point. The pottering is also a lot of very short drives though, so you see some mad high consumption as the car never gets warmed up before its parked again. It's worth saying that a large part of our logic was that we rarely do long drives in winter, so the winter degradation in range means close to nothing to us. All our long drives are summer ones. But the OP could adjust similarly and use the Diesel in Winter, and the EV the other 9 months for example. (we are a single car house, so don't have the luxury!) It might be just the kind of compromise to allow them meet their budget.

I've said this before, there is nothing missing really that I'd kick myself over. They are all nice to haves, the odd time it would be nice to slide the console, or have a leather seat that wipes clean. But not in any real way that I wish I'd spent the money.

The only thing was the tinted windows, which we got done ourselves for €200 or so. And then I got seat protectors to go under the car seats to catch the worst of the kids crumbs/tears/vomit etc.

Does the executive trim get seat heating at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Renault Megane E-Tech. The Megane Is fully electric now and its a hatchback not an SUV but you do sit a little higher up in it than a standard hatchback. It's probably slightly over your 40k budget @OP but it's a great car. It's definitely worth test driving one if you can.

Citroen E-C4 worth a look too if you can get one.

The new Peugeot 308 is available fully electric and the new Opel Astra too.

So lots of choice out there now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Isn't a slightly higher up hatchback an SUV? 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Ms

Well Renault describe it as a hatchback with some slightly higher seating.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Wake up, get dressed, order an MG 4, get undressed, go back to bed.

I've driven it, I've driven the ID.3 too, and the Born. I feel very little difference, except the quality of some lower materials and a slightly more simplistic interface.

The 4 is comfortable, hugely spacious, decently refined, satisfactorily solid and underpinned with a good warranty.

For 15 grand (!!!!) less than the equivalent VW or Hyundai etc, its a no brainer.

wity the batteries in the floor. That’s the same as most EVs

But they are not equivalent for 15k less

you are getting a 51kwh battery as opposed to a 58kwh

you need to step up a model in the mg4

the mg4 is comparable to the Kona which is 40k for a 64kwh battery which is 5k more than the 61kwh mg4

• Advertisement

Also Ioniq 5 is more than a full size bigger than an MG4. It is huge on the inside. The 3000mm wheelbase is the same as monster trucks like the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 and Tesla Model X

I have yet to test drive any of them but I did sit in to the three MGs and just didn't like the MG4, not a fan of how the rear looks either so it wouldn't be in the running for me.

Think the base Megane only comes with a 50kwh battery so would probably end up being a bit more than the Ioniq 5 for similar range

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The base model actually only has a 40kwh battery, the other option is 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

There are a few 2019 Model 3 Standard range Tesla's on done-deal for a shade over €40K, with 50 Kwh Battery, these should have a range of around 320-350km

A 4 year old poorly made Model 3 going out of warranty soon, for just €13k less than a brand new 2023 Model Y? There won't be many takers for that. The early Irish Model 3 of late 2019 early 2020 have already taken a dive of at least €5k in the last month or so, there's another dive of at least €5k coming soon. Someone will pay €35k for that car I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The MG4 is a nice car. Don't let the price sway you into thinking it's a "budget" car. It's packed with features. I've the MGZS and the build quality is great. MG are making decent cars at the moment. Good chance of actually getting a MG4 too.

What sort of range are you getting in the ZS, have to say I was impressed by it when I sat in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

There’s no e308 or EV Astra yet. Coming but not yet.

Megane is not a big car on the inside, Ioniq as has been mentioned is a lot bigger. You may possibly get a K3 Niro new model for that money but I think it just scrapes over.

Cupra Born is another one, there is quite a bit of choice out there now but MG4 aside, getting something that ticks all your boxes for 40k on the nose is still hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I saw your video of the q4 etron Mark, you mentioned starting at 47k. Is there anything available even remotely near that price though? Every one I see advertised is 60k and above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Yeah, if you can have the willpower to not put a single extra on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I remember standard model, not the sport back, had some low prices advertised but I've yet to see one available. Silly wait times on them too.

In the summer I was regularly doing over 400. It's easily 400-450km.

Now in the winter it's dropped a good bit. I'd say it's around 300-350km.

But I make no effort to save battery. Full heater, sports mode etc.

That's good winter range, have you found any significant fall off over the last couple of days of sub zero temperatures

Massive once the freeze set in. Dropping under 300 now. 80% charge is showing as 220 now. But you can turn on the battery heating and it comes back up.

But I'm just doing short trips with the heating on full whack. If I was on a longer trip with battery heating and heating not on all the time, I think it would still give me over 300.

• Advertisement

That's normal for all EVs. My Tesla in the last few days with short trips is doing well over 30kWh / 100km. Near double what it does in perfect summer weather.

Curiosity got the better of me so I topped up the ZS to 100% and it has a range of 330. The range is pretty accurate. So I'd say you are going to be in the 300-350 range for the winter. 400-450 for the summer.

Advertisement