Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile PAYG strange occurrence..

Options
  • 06-12-2022 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone else has come across something very strange that has happened with a Tesco Mobile Sim that I use recently.....

The Sim in question is an older 3G Sim that I was using for Data only in an Unlocked 3G Network Radio PoC (PTT over Cellular). Used mainly for VoiP apps (Voice over Internet Protocol) like Zello, Echolink, IRLP etc.... and I also used the Network Radio as a Mobile Hotspot when out and about...

Until I recently when the Signal kept dropping from 3G to 2G so thought nothing of it and thought it was just roaming between Masts... So I re-did a Network search and found that I could not Find Tesco 3G but kept finding "Proximus" so unwittingly clicked on the Network and It connected for a few minutes then the Network disappeared so searched again and found both Tesco 3G & 4G networks but now said Network Radio will not and can not connect to any 3/4G Network but will only connect to 2G networks.... very odd indeed.

After numerous calls to Tesco Mobile Support...... reset settings on the Android 4.4.2 platform of the Network radio it still refuses to connect to any network above 2G. So I did a bit of research on-line and it turns out "Proximus" is a pre-paid network in Belgium but what I dont understand is why was my Network Radio connecting to a Belgium network when I was in Munster, Ireland and the Radio has never been in Belgium. And now said Network Radio is basically Useless as It will only connect to a 2G network.... Ive scanned the Android platform for Viruses, Malware etc and all scans come back clean....? Last time I spoke Tesco support I asked about the "Proximus" network appearing in Ireland and of course the Agent could not answer me.....

So my question..... has anyone else experienced anything similiar to this occurance and if so how was it dealt with.... Any advice or information regarding this would be very much appreciated and thanks for your time. M.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Something similar (Proximus) happened with 48 users who were roaming... but not in Belgium. The settings had to be changed manually again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

48 and TM both use the 3 network...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

proximus is used by tesco for connecting to networks when roaming. not sure how your device works but on an android phone for example, you can choose which profile to use from sim toolkit app - "Home - Local Profile" or "Roaming - International Profile ".

Sounds like yours is using International Profile but should be Home

Advertisement