Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPX watches and ultra running

• 07-12-2022 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a new watch for ultra running with one of my events being over 24 hours.

So ideally I would need one that has the capability of lasting the duration of the event. Also, what watches support the uploading of GPX files to follow throughout the duration of the run as the trail is not marked.

From reading online I see that the Garmin Fenix range (6X Pro) support this but was wondering what battery life etc is like if anyone has any experience or indeed suggestions. I should add I don’t want to have to spend massive money on a watch as I see there are some in excess of 1000 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭event

I have the Fenix 6 Pro. The battery life is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Andrew_88

Thank you for getting back. Does it allow the uploading of GPX files to follow? Also do you think it would last over 24 hours when following an uploaded route while tracking pace etc.?

So I just turned mine to run mode. I'm at 23% and it says it will last 13 hours in run mode. I'll charge it later and see how long when it's 100% but I'd be confident yes it will.

And that's before you turn on the battery saver modes.

Regarding uploading gpx files, I think you can but I've never done it. What I have done is created routes in Strava or copied other people's and sent them to the watch. Can then use them in navigation mode. Very handy for trail running etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

You can load a gpx in Garmin Connect, edit etc if needed and send that to your watch. That will allow you to follow that course with turn by turn navigation if needed.

There are other features on the fenix like ClimbPro that will give you more information on climbs and descents. Handy if the course is hilly

Fully charged the Fenix 6 Pro there and put it to run mode. 55 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

What race is this for? Is a GPS a mandatory piece of equipment?

Mapping with long battery life is generally going to mean a very high-spec watch, so cheap is unlikely. You can get watches from all the big players Garmin, Suunto, Coros) that do this. Coros has the reputation for being the cheapest. Worth looking at DCrainmaker for reviews and comparisons.

Hi @Enduro thanks for the comment. The race itself is a 84 mile event point to point stay race. GPS is not a mandatory piece of kit for the race but the race only has a few markers dotted across the trail for that it’s entirety so a GPX file of the course is downloadable for the event.

From what I have read online and from what the guys previously have said the Garmin Fenix series has this capability GPX uploading as said by @Unthought Known and extremely good battery life as pointed out by @event which is why I think this would be good for me.

If you have any additional thoughts our recommendations they would be very much appreciated and I will check out DCrainmaker as you said.

Thanks again and to everyone who has replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭TheRef

I have a Fenix 6x Pro as well and looked myself today when it was at 100% and yep, said it would give 55 hours on default run settings.

The one thing I would mention from my own experience - I uploaded a GPX a few times and followed them, but I found it quite poor to use as a navigation tool. The map is hard to read (poor color contrast) which makes it difficult to follow. The turn by turn directions tended to be very last second, so using it in places I was unfamiliar with resulted in a few wrong turns and going back on myself. This was for both hiking and running.

I'm just waiting though for someone to tell me that these things can be configured, so it's possible user error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ah go on, tell us the race! Do you have to follow an exact route, or just hit specified checkpoints? What are the temperatures likely to be (cold can affect both battery life, and your ability to interact with your GPS).

I'm guessing you're not very expereinced at using GPS for nav, so bear in mind that they are not prefect flawless devices. Anything that interferes with satellite reception, such as buildings, cliffs, thick forest cover, can cause the accuracy to drift. In most circumstances that doesn't matter a lot, but occasionally it does. Watches tend to be less accuarate than hand held devices. As with most things, there's trade-offs. It's always a good idea to be have a back-up contingnecy (gnerally map and compass) in case of a major device failure, or just to sanity check the thing occassionally.

Hi it is required that you follow the provided race route as best you can using the printed map provided or a combination of the printed map and the downloadable GPX file. You also have to hit specific checkpoints along the way.

I don’t expect the temperatures to be in the minus or at least I hope they are nowhere near that, so the battery life shouldn’t be affected too much.

No I wouldn’t be experienced by any means using GPS for navigation so any recommendations anyone has are ver much appreciated. I am aware of the flaws of technology and using them for such events which is why I will also be relying on my map and compass along the route, which I intend on using to verify specifics along the route.

Thanks again for all comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I have the Fenix 7x, I love it. I had the maps on during whole Kerry Way Ultra and I'm pretty sure I only used half the battery for the entirety of the run. The GPX/route on the watch was useful for those moments of doubt, it's dark and you're not sure should you go left/right etc. Nothing beats a recce of course. Good luck with your super secret race :) !

Edit: Just to add, though I'm probably stating the obvious, I rarely used the watch during the whole race except for those moments to double check direction. Having routes is extremely useful though for times when you're somewhere new, like in a city or exploring a new mountain route

Advertisement