Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil burner not firing

• 07-12-2022 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

I had to change a radiator today so changed the valves as well, i drained the system to do this, when I was finished I re-filled it and went to switch on the heating a while, but the oil burner isn't working,

It hums a little but doesn't fire, would draining the system have any effect on the burner?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Most likely a coincidence.

What you describe could be a frozen motor, pump or weak or disconnected capacitor.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, the pressure may be below the min-limit or you have an air-lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

It was a faulty capacitor in my burner, a few months back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

no draining system would have no affect

as wearb says above

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

I was guessing this whilst having no clue and followed all the steps to fix an air lock in the system, water is fine throughout the house, thanks for all the replies, time to get the wallet out I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

You didn't happen to isolate the oil supply or anything like that?

Accidently trip the fire protection valve?

Is it going into lockout?

Cold night to have the heating off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Is it getting fuel?

Is the fire valve open?

Sorry to say I don't really know anything about them, its definitely getting oil so its not locked on that end, but that's the height of my knowledge, hence my reason for being here, fella told me that I should try turning the screw on the pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

dont touch any screws if you increase oil pump pressure it can be dangerous

time to bite the bullet and dig in wallet

So lad landed out today, switches on the oil and heads outside to look at the burner....burner fires up, working fine now, I'm guessing it was some sort of safety trip or something? Whatever it was I'll take it, thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

He should have checked the capacitor.

Hopefully it'll keep going. At least you got him out and if he's like most of us, he'll stand over work that he's done, so should come back quite quickly if needed.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Advertisement