Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media free speed increase to 360mb/s

Options
  • 07-12-2022 7:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like VM are going to give a free speed increase to customers currently on 250mb/s

No indication of upload speed, I hope they bump it to 36mb/s too. That would be more useful then the increase in download speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The upload is normally 1/10 of the download on their products so I’d say it should be 36

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect this is the prelude to a price increase in Q1 2023

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Only on the 250 and 500 products, not on the 1gig, but fingers crossed.

Probably, but at least this time we will have a speed bump, they have been increasing prices constantly over the last few years with no improvement in speeds.

I do think this is in response to the increasing strong competition from the FTTH products. VM are looking increasingly uncompetitive with their constant price increases. They could get away with that when their only competition was VDSL, now with FTTH they are facing real competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It is. My speedtest results (date, download, upload):

2022-07-18 17:13 116.62Mbit/s 11.56Mbit/s

2022-12-07 16:57 334.38Mbit/s 36.94Mbit/s

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Am sure I'd enjoy 'buffer free streaming' at 50mb/s

Can I have that option at half the price plz ...........no? ok thought not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m thinking of the older 25/30/50/60/100/120/240/250 speeds which were all 10%. Sadly I moved house to an area that gets 40mb max so I can only dream at this stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Just noticed this today. Normally I would get a 220 measurement via fast.com and got a few 400 and 440 results today. I'm geting 32 up.

The December PDF bill for me also lists "Limitless 360Mb and mobile calls" whereas the previous ones say "Limitless 240Mb and mobile calls". Price the same at €68.50 (at least for now).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I did a speed test earlier today after restarting the modem and I can confirm that I got almost exactly 360mb/s down, 36mb/s up.

I’m very happy with the increase in upload speed. Not too bothered about the download, but no complaints.

I just hope they roll out the new Hub 5 with Wi-Fi 6 and more importantly the Broadcom chip, it would be much better the the intel chip. Would hold me over nicely until they roll out FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭feet of flame

Anybody get the speed increase in Waterford, I'm still on 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm in N. Wicklow, and I just noticed by pure accident that my 240Mb/s seems to have increased to around 340 down, 36 up! I never got any communication from them about it, but anything's better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sorry to bring back up an old thread @bk but they have started using these new modems now, not sure how long they've been using them, but wasn't supplied to a new customer install at the start of February anyway. I saw one installed last week, definitely has the broadcom chipset and is also wifi 6 enabled. It was installed for someone who was actually downgrading from the 1gb package to the 500mb package and was after securing a 9 month half price deal and an engineer to call out and replace whatever equipment was necessary.

Thanks, that is brilliant news, at last a decent modem!

Looking at their website, they have pictures of the new Broadcom hub, what they call Hub 5 in the Uk, all over the Irish website. So looks like it alright. Though I don’t see any mention of it anywhere, no manual in support docs, etc. And no offer to upgrade to it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm presuming it was only 240 customers that got this?

Still on 250. Router rebooted multiple times since December due to power works in the house.

Not going to try the call up and demand the new customer deal as they are only offering 500 as base now, for more than I currently pay.

SIRO have done the bulk of my town but not my estate, and seem to be finished now so I'm still stuck with Virgin until/unless Eir get around.

I was on 240+phone line until a few years ago; until I was well sure the single product surcharge wasn't coming back and got rid of the phone line. Hadn't actually used it since they got rid of the Android app that let you use your bundled international minutes from it; which was a nice/innovative feature that really didn't cost them anything. So of course they canned it.

Yes, I was on 240mb/s + phone line with mobile calls package.

Yes, I see they have dropped the lower packages and 500mb/s is the cheapest now at €70!

Also they have dropped the month by month product, which is disappointing to see.

Frankly €70 for 500mb/s is far too much for the competition they now face. Unfortunately where I live VM are the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've 12.99 48 pulling 70mbits+ (indoors - I suspect an outdoor aerial might help a bit too, and the router has connections for it) in the holiday house; and if it wasn't for the times when there's two of us WFH I'd just go to a similar speed 4G/5G product for <20 here too. 70 is absolutely insanity considering what you can get on the dearer to implement and run mobile networks

Subsidising their stupid TV 'investments' no doubt.

I'm actually on 48 myself and on my phone, in my home, I get 260mb/s down, 35mb/s up for just €8 !!

And that is just on LTE, my phone doesn't support 5G that they have started to roll out.

Only downside with 48 is the 100GB cap, other plans like Three's €20 one with unlimited data might be an option.

Advertisement