Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting property to city council

Options
  • 07-12-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone have an experience of renting a property to the council? I inherited a property and am not really interested in being a full on landlord and also can’t sell it for other reasons.

if I rented it in a long term contract would this be a good idea? Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar?don’t mind being locked in to a ten year lease as that would actually work well for me and again the discounted rent is something I’m comfortable with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I rented a property to the council for a number of years. All I will say to you is don't even consider it.

There is an element of convenience in that rent is guaranteed however you have no say as to who they will let the property to. If there are any issues with the tenants the council will not want to know. My tenants caused in excess of €20,000 in damage to the house but despite my complaints to the council they did nothing about it. It took me years to get the tenants evicted and I had to foot the bill to repair the house. Needless to say the house went on the market immediately as being a landlord is just not worth it.

I am sure not all experiences are negative but personally I would not advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why can’t you sell it?

it’d be the easier option in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

flip of a coin what type of tenant you get i have one for last 5 years and shes a dream on residents association too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The council’s suspended the practice of long term lease’s eighteen months ago , I’m in a ten year lease with limerick city council since 2018 , the council use these arrangements for nuisance clients but the rent is assured

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭blarb

You could always use a management company to let out your property to a private tenant. They would (for a fixed cost) make any arrangements to find a tenant, set up lease, set up HAP etc (you would just need a few docs initially to set up as a HAP landlord). They charge monthly then for dealing with any queries from the tenant. The monthly charges you pay for management can be written off against your rental income tax. Just a thought, may not be as bad as you imagine. You could try it for a fixed term lease of a year or something, and sell/go to council at that point if you are not happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Not getting into why I can’t sell it it’s personal reasons but thanks all for your input-food for thought!

Advertisement