Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do we get to vote on who runs the country?

• 07-12-2022 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm sorry if this seems like a simplistic question amongst the intelligent threads that are posted here.

My question is : When can I vote against the current government staying in power?.

I often hear people saying, "well if you don't like what going on, use your vote".

I have done so before but I don't know when the next election happens and how I can use my vote to achieve that. Quite honestly, I've forgotten the process.

Is it the case that I vote for local candidates in my jurisdiction of a different party then government when the time comes?.

Then whichever party has the most elected people goes into power??.

I know it's politics 101 but Im trying to understand it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭blackbox

The next general election must take place by March 2025, but could be sooner.

You vote for candidates in your own constituency in order of preference. If there is a candidate you don't want to get in, don't include them.

I suggest that you should have a look at who you want to get into power rather than who you want to get out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The next opportunity to vote in a General Election will be three or four weeks after it is called, but that must happen within five years after the last one.

Your vote is a single vote given to the candidates, selected by you in the order of your choice. Your vote is assigned to the first candidate, but if that candidate is eliminated, it goes to your next choice and so on until the number of TDs are elected.

The Government is formed by the election of a Taoiseach by a majority of the TDs elected. The Taoiseach then forms a Gov by appointing Fifteen Ministers plus junior ministers. The largest party does not necessarily get to form the Gov.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bitent

Thank you both. That explains alot and I really appreciate the responses.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Several posts deleted. Please read the charter before posting. Serious discussion only.

Advertisement