Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is better - intermittent heating or leaving it on for longer periods

• 08-12-2022 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

I guess this is an efficiency question. I have a gas boiler and now that it's getting colder, I've been switching on the heating. What I'm wondering is, is it better to have the gas on for longer periods of time e.g. continuous for say 3 hours or else switching it on or off regularly in a 6 hour period e.g. on for 1/2 hour, off for 1/2 hour.

Both scenarios have the heating on for 3 hours, but would it cost the same and would the heat levels be noticeably different (ignoring variables like insulation levels)? Is there an efficiency from maintaining water at a certain temperature as opposed to heating water that has cooled down a bit in the half hour drop.

Just trying to figure out the most efficient way to keep my apartment warm!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Continuous is more efficient, especially if you have a condensing boiler. Try lowering your flow temp and leave on the heating for longer periods. Should be a more comfortable heat also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there any way of knowing what the flow temp is, or what the optimum level would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It can be tricky depending on the modulation of your boiler. You want to avoid excessive cycling of the boiler. With flow temps, generally the lower the better so best thing is to set the flow temp down and keep going until it's either not heating the house or the boiler is cycling too much. The very cold weather we are having should reduce cycling some what anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This is correct if you're in the house full-time and have a need for the house to be heated over that duration, but I will add in that some people believe that it's still most efficient to leave heating on continuously while out of the house or when the occupation is low. It might seem obvious to some but not others.

Where I am I get some moderate solar gain and this negates the heating on during bright days - even today I only had it on for an hour in the AM, but on an overcast day it will be running until afternoon.

So the generic answer very much is: it depends on the circumstance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭unnamed

It also depends on the heating type. In most cases, underfloor heating with an Air to Water heat pump should be left on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Thanks. How much more efficient is it running this way in reality? Like if I'm turning the heating on for 30 minutes just to get the room temp up to a bare minimum, should I just leave it on for an hour to a bit more of a comfortable temp as it's not much of an extra cost?

Am I right in comparing it to having an initial intense start up stage where more gas is consumed (similar to a car accelerating) and then it's a steady lower consumption maintaining at the higher temp (car travelling at a constant speed)?

Advertisement