Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Children's Hospital - A symbol of Ireland's scandalous and shady behavior

Options
  • 08-12-2022 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

At least 3 or 4 times a year there is a new scandal linked to the new childrens hospital. Almost always either about the final cost or of the date of completion. These are always dismissed and forgotten about because sher what harm is another few hundred million and it's for the children remember so how dare you question it:

"the only scandal in relation to the project would have been to cancel it" - Simon Harris

I watched some very interesting footage a few weeks back on the building of the Empire State building in New York. The building was on such a mammoth proportions that they had to dig right down to the bedrock of Manhattan to find stone solid enough to support it.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDECW5FLAM&ab_channel=Rick88888888)

This was all during the height of the Wall Street Crash. And yes, building regulations, labour/material costs etc. were nowhere near what they are today and yes, the Empire State building is not of hospital standard, but you only have to look at the figures to see that there is something seriously wrong:

(Source Wikipedia)

We are all fully aware that the government simply chose the cheapest and quickest offer from the contractors (BAM) and signed off on an open-ended tendering process (essentially writing a blank cheque with little repercussion for missed timelines). And this doesn't even touch on the "Consultancy" contracts. All to the detriment to the tax payer.

But it's all for the sick children, how dare you!

An interesting thread was started a few years back but of course was scoffed at and dismissed to the cesspit of the conspiracy forum. The thread pointed to the very fact that the hospital is shaped like a serpent eye, a symbol notoriously linked with evil and shady business.

This cannot simply be an underestimate of costs and lead time. The question is, how long before the real scandal is truly exposed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

What's the real scandal? That it looks like a vagina?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

An interesting thread was started a few years back but of course was scoffed at and dismissed to the cesspit of the conspiracy forum. The thread pointed to the very fact that the hospital is shaped like a serpent eye, a symbol notoriously linked with evil and shady business.

Hmm, I wonder why that got moved to CT 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

OP is spot on.

Another aspect that has not received much attention is that the National Lottery workers were basically emotionally blackmailed to vote in favour of privatising the lottery as the funds from the successful bidder were supposed to be allocated towards building the children's hospital (in other words, 'you're not going to delay funding a new children's hospital, are you??'). This was back in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

What's that grey tower by the path on the top left of the picture? The structure that looks like Sauron's gaff, what's that for?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

30 billion for Covid, 3 billion for refugees next year, 2 billion for a hospital, many billions for climate change etc etc

Sure we’re loaded and no-one will have to pay it back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i think a long and lengthy inquiry will be needed maybe some findings reached and that will be the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

All to have less children hospital beds than we do now if I remember correctly. It’s amazing how they couldn’t just build a hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

They must have factored in a cheque from Sean Quinn, that'll cover the cost of the hospital. Any day now it will be sent in.

Just looking at the figures again - It's costing 4 times as much and 5 times as long to build a structure that is half the size of the Empire state building. I think that Sqm figure also includes car parking space too, so probably less than half the size

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

But but but...what about Sinn Fein IRA Jean McConville??????

I personally think Gerry Mary Lou Mcdonald Adams has questions to answer in relation to this Children Hospitals debacle. I notice they haven't denied involvement.

Yeah god knows the poor auld legal folks will be wanting some of that 'taxpayer footing the bill for Billions' action too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And yes, building regulations, labour/material costs etc. were nowhere near what they are today and yes, the Empire State building is not of hospital standard, but

yeahbut. You just explained everything about the delta, even before we mention that 2020 dollars are a lot cheaper than 2022 dollars. $659.63 M is the more accurate figure based on your table (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm). The five human lives lost during its construction, technically priceless.

Not to mention the ESB was designed in such a way to maximize floor space and minimize material cost, this building has other parameters in mind owing to its function. This contraption pictured above has other factors clearly driving its design: awnings, courtyards, pavilions, rooftop park, Helicopter pad, etc. it is not simply a tower of floors stacked with cubicles and mod cons.

Not comparing oranges to tangerines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry but you know nothing about the adversarial form of contract utilised here. You see a huge cost and think corruption, scandal when actually it isn’t. Besides anything else the cost of materials and labour had sky rocketed.

Not only that but administration, safety and overhead costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Then why didn't we just build a tower with cubicles and mod-cons with the same amount of beds leaving enough left over to build a second one all over again in a more central part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Footage from the Empire state building is gas " wheres my 3-piece suit and bowler hat? I'm off to work to build a skyscraper"

You're asking the wrong American.

Why don't we all simply live in cargo shipping containers, its cheaper, bla bla bla.

I believe there's a few eyesores in Dublin nobody is fond of, isn't/wasn't there?

Real answer: because it's a children's hospital not an office building. Maximizing space is not your only criterion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

Don’t be talking shite. The aesthetics of this place will cure disease. Why would you just build a hospital we are desperate for? Sure anyone can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

473 in-patient beds I think? I think that's the same as the three hosps it replaces.

But 6,500 rooms altogether, it's a big building!!!

UPDATE:

"This 160,000m2 facility will feature over 6,000 rooms spread across seven storeys above basement, 380 individual in-patient rooms, each with an en-suite and bed for parent to sleep near their child, 60 critical care beds, 93 day beds and 22 operating theatres. It will also feature four acres of outdoor space with 14 gardens and courtyards, a helipad and 1,000 underground parking spaces."

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Unsupervised

Its neither the Government Fault nor The Construction Firms fault.

The Government are the customer.

The Construction firm are the Delivery Team

There is a team in the middle called the Project Management team who were/are responsible for The Scope, Timeline and Budget for the Project.

Funny enough they seem to have failed in all 3 areas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It has been a complete disaster since inception and FG have lost control of the construction costs from the beginning. Some connected people are benefiting but I hope people do not forget the scandal and ongoing waste. Sure it's only for children and we know where they fit on the FFG priority list.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

😂 Brilliant.

So the architects, engineers and all the rest conspired to shape a hospital like a serpent so that qualified doctors can practice unmitigated evil against innocent children?

And that's where I end my contribution to this thread.

David Icke, eat your heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭Allinall

But why did they have to design it so stupidly like that at all? Why not just build a straightforward building. Why in the name of christ make some sort of trendy architectural statement that you can only see from the sky? Just build a hospital building, the kids and parents don't give a $hit what it looks like outside the thing once they can get the services inside it. Its a hospital, not a piece of jewelry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Interesting I haven’t heard anything about bed numbers before.

Surely we need more hospital beds in the Paediatric Healthcare System not the same amount. Haven’t politicians being talking about an increase in population for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Probably to do with the symbol for doctors the snakes around what ever the other thing is.

The Caduceus. Snakes entwined around a winged staff. Associated with Hermes and Mercury.

Can this be booted to CT? The op doesn't believe in moon landings. CA is bad, but ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anybody who thinks €2billion will have this hospital will be up and running is sadly naive. The building will cost that, if not more. Then there's the cost of kitting it out. And it won't be kitted out with stuff from the middle aisle in Aldi/Lidl. It'll easily cost another €1billion to kit out.

And then the craic will start when it opens. There'll be staffing issues. T'will be good fun trying to get in and out of the place with traffic etc. And when you get there, where will you park your car etc. Fcuking disaster of a site.

Advertisement