Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pathway to becoming a Counselor / Psychotherapist.

• 09-12-2022 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, I am an EU citizen ( French ) and have lived and studied outside France in a British Curriculum school through out. Just finishing my A levels and looking into Universities to pursue my dream of becoming a counselor. Before Brexit UK was an obvious choice as I was in the the same curriculum. Currently I am studying Psychology, Sociology and English Language at A levels.

I have a few questions-

What is the pathway to becoming a Psychotherapist or a Counselor in Ireland.

I am thinking of full time Psychology bachelors degree in a University ( 3 yrsArt +1 year for PSI accreditation or full 4 years) and then pursuing masters. There is no full time bachelor’s degree in Psychology and counseling in Universities.

Unlike UK, all Bachelors in Psychology and Counseling are by Private institutions and are part - time. What am I expected to do when I am not taking the classes?

Furthermore the Masters are also part- time, which again goes up to 4 Years- my understanding is that by the time one finishes bachelors they can start working in the related field ( volunteer etc. ) and study side by side.

Is it better to do Masters full time in University ( I think there is only one that offers counseling and psychology) or through private institutions part time. Pros and Con.

Which institution is best to pursue Masters in Counseling and Psychology.

Apologies for all the questions but it’s decision time for me to look at my career and pathway and really need advise being thousands of miles away from Ireland.

Thank you

Angelie

Post edited by Spear on

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

Advertisement