Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hefty Home Insurance Hikes All Round - Any Deals?

• 09-12-2022 4:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭

Its that time again. Premium last year was 207 euro with 123.ie. This year that went up to 394 😳

Went to chill insurance and best they could do was 290. Phoned 123 and they said best they could do is 360 with a multi policy discount as we have car insurance with them also. Agent started telling me this is due to inflation of cost of building materials which I found a bit strange since the amount of cover I was looking for is the same. Anyway no matter where I get a quote I cant get less than 290. FBD, BOI (even when I give them my BOI mortgage account number), Axa are all ridiculous quotes also. What the hell is going on?

Comments

Aviva were cheapest for me recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,600 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I got a good price from Peopl insurance via my credit union, but I ended up staying with Aviva.

Their renewal quote was up 50% on last year, but almost all of that was down to the 'all risks' premium for a ring, which just wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Be sure to increase the cover value - if you have a claim and they find you are only 75% covered, they can pay out 75% too even if your claim is below the policy value.

Check the rcsi website for rebuilding costs - you probably don't need their level, but I'd be no more than 10% below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Check the rcsi website for rebuilding costs - you probably don't need their level, but I'd be no more than 10% below

You were one letter out, 'rcsi' is the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. It's always best to just quote the link....

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/calculator/

• Advertisement

Some really crazy quotes this year.

BOI insurance (with my BOI mortgage number added) is 414!

People insurance 600!

Chill is 303 from Axa.

Aviva renewal is 282. Up from 230 last year. Think I'll just renew with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Those numbers mean nothing without quoting the amount of cover they're buying you.

Your renewal quote went up from 230 to 282, an increase of 23%. Did they increase the level of cover? If so, please tell us the before (last year) and after (renewal quote) building cover.

Didn't seem to matter up until now in thread. Anyway Ive always insured the same amounts. 150k and 20k contents. Its a 1200sq foot 3 bed semi in rural Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭DataDude

Be careful on that. You are probably only just over 50% insured.

If you suffer a €10k loss, you’ll only receive €5k from the insurer and have to cover the rest yourself.

Had a look at the SCSI calculator above for 2023 in North West region. Says I should be insured for 255k rebuild 😳. Ok will see what Aviva will do for 255k.

• Advertisement

Aviva 255k rebuild and 23k contents worked out at 288 euro. Going with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gilly43

When using SCSI rates, make sure on top of house area that you include an allowance for drives, boundary walls, garages etc as they’re not integrated into rebuild rates (single garage circa €20k, double garage €35k for example. Domestic outbuildings included under your home insurance policy Buildings Sum Insured

For explanation of premium increases, materials and labour costs up.

For example SCSI rates will show increases in rebuild of bungalow in NW for example of €1441 per sq.m in 2021 to €1926 in ‘22 to €2153 in ‘23

Think Im ok for now. No garage. Wooden shed I got for 200 euro. Patio I built myself for maybe 300 euro. About 12 metres of hedge I added out the front and wooden fencing. Maybe 30sq metre of tarmac out front. Thats it.

Advertisement