Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forest Fest - Emo, Co. Laois - July 21-23 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭traco

Site 7 made sense for parking for campers.

Its not as if the camping is a free for all and they know the numbers of camping tickets. Should have been a very basic thing to organise. Even people using the glamping will be under pressure if bringing beer and food. Its not like we are going camping in the hills all lean and mean, its a weekend music festival where have the craic is hanging out at the tent chilling, having a few beers and eating before you head in or between sets that interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Just to follow up on the parking again. I emailed FF on their contact page, and the organiser (Philip Meagher) responded pretty quickly.

Fair play! That's something at least even if it will still be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Wonder if the ground is a bit soft? Probably not a great day to be lugging equipment 2-3km and pitching a tent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

Yes, does anyone have any thoughts or experience as to how this place will stand up to this rain?

I'd worry the place will be a marsh, even if the weather's clear by next weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Unfortunately the long term weather forecasts don't look good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It’s pretty grim

Saw someone on FB say the ground is holding up fine. it's a series of GAA pitches so will be well drained. campsite could be a different story.

Weather not looking great but it's to ease off by next weekend do here's hoping

I was looking at the campsite and it's basically flat, maybe a 20m call over 0.5km as far as I can make out. Seems to be a lot of trees close to the campsite area so it may be wettish ground.

Long range forecast isn't very inspiring either on the weather forum with more rain and unsettled conditions hopefully a few dry days towards end of the week and if lucky they will be Saturday and Sunday but there is mention of a low moving down over us. I really hope MT has it wrong.

A said I'd expect the GAA grounds to be fine it's just the campsite, campervan and parking where things could get messy. I'm going to get screw in tent pegs as I saw a post on the forever young thread where the ground was so soft regular pegs weren't holding.

Fingers crossed things improve but prepare well for rain and hope that all the sacrifices to the rain gods will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭rockterrain

Looks like the end of the week is showing some break in the bad weather although take met.ie long range forecasts at your own risk. Forever Young in dire straits with day trippers being turned away. Hope this doesn't follow suit but I'd have more confidence in the planning and preparation. I remember some years of Oxegen with similar levels of rain but they managed to keep the show on the road.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

If the weather stays like this during the week, I can see myself driving down and back each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

Hi all, what is the crowd capacity ?

Just think this time next week we will hopefully be having a drink and getting ready for great music and a bit of craic..

The Carlow weather lad on the radio said next Friday should be good, he couldn't say after that..fingers crossed

Snarky Snark Snark

I might take a spin by early in the week as I may be down Limerick so not a major detour on the way home to have a nose.

My situation has changed and now won't be able to make it. Gutted but what can you do. In A&E since 8pm last night and not looking like I'm going home any time soon. I'll live so it will be grand just a bit of a mess.

Two weekend camping tickets available if anyone is interested. I'll check out toutless and see how that works.

That's a bollix altogether

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sorry to hear that @traco hope its not too serious

hopefully you can offload those tix without hassle.

having a quick look at the weather for the weekend and its still unsure

YR is giving 6mm of rain for friday, to be wettest in the evening / night.

Accuweather says 2.8mm and dryer evening than afternoon.

MET has friday dry up to about 7pm

YR has saturday similar (6.8mm), with wettest afternoon and evening

Accu has saturday at 9mm rain throughout

MET has to wetter in the morning and evening and dry in the afternoon.

YR has sunday just a wetter version of saturday at 10mm rain, Accu has less rain for less time. MET has more rain than Saturday

as for ground conditions, wednesday and thursday is to be dry so that should make the camp sites decent to set up. there will be no problem at all with the festival grounds. Its on a height so water shouldn't gather, and the ground is very well drained.

the last time i saw James outdoors was at groove back in 2014, and it pissed rain then as well... but it didnt matter one jot to the crowd. i expect the very same on Friday :D

Explain it to me like i'm an idiot (I am a little bit).

How much is 2.8mm, is it light rain?

Is 6mm spilling and 10mm absolutely pissing it down?

Snarky Snark Snark

Wikipedia to the rescue

• Light rain — when the precipitation rate is < 2.5 mm (0.098 in) per hour
    • Moderate rain — when the precipitation rate is between 2.5 mm (0.098 in) – 7.6 mm (0.30 in) or 10 mm (0.39 in) per hour[108][109]
    • Heavy rain — when the precipitation rate is > 7.6 mm (0.30 in) per hour,[108] or between 10 mm (0.39 in) and 50 mm (2.0 in) per hour[109]
    • Violent rain — when the precipitation rate is > 50 mm (2.0 in) per hour[109]

Violent rain is a new one to me.

both rain coat and big poncho to be packed

• Advertisement

the figures i gave are "whole day" figures, rather than per hour. It wont be a wash out, but they wont be sun showers either.

essentially, as scruff says, pack a decent raincoat / poncho.

hopefully saturday during the day we might get some sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭rockterrain

Good view of the rain belts here: https://www.met.ie/forecasts/atlantic-charts/precipitation-pressure

It's the one coming in Friday afternoon/evening that looks potentially most crippling. The rest should be manageable. Still a good degree of variance could be expected when more than three days out. Tomorrow's view should be fairly accurate.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties traco. There's more important things to life and no doubt Forest Fest will be back again next year (with hopefully better weather :)).

Thanks guys. Just disappointed as I was looking forward to seeing so many of those guys in one hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Body & Soul this year definitely came under 'Violent Rain' at times, the way it scattered Kneecap's audience in a matter of seconds during their encore was nuts.

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

I see a couple of familiar names here from the old picnic threads :)

Roll on the weekend in Emo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Busher!! Long time no see! Hope you're keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to do this but with the no electronica thing, I like a bit of both, some raucous rock and roll and then some fudged out electronica for the later hours, but enjoy people.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭thebusher

All good here. Looking forward to the weekend. Ran into Seatherun at Glasto last summer by chance :) Ended up on z stag pub crawl with Mucker in Waterford earlier in the year and also ran in to him in St Annes park at Paul Heaton!

Forest Fest has some line up. I knew there would be Teenager kickers about.

How you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭rubick

'Violent Rain' is also a song by James that was demo-ed on tour in 1989/90 for Gold Mother but never actually released.

Hope you're all well, I have just taken a look at the line-up and most of the acts we'd like to see are clashing in some manner. And there aren't many.

There's a fierce amount of filler on there to be quite honest. I'm sure we'll get our days in alright but I swear I will never complain about the EP line-up again. All about bringing our headphones and dancing round at the tent after 1am by the look of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Flying it Busher. No Irish festival for me this year, just trying to ward off the fomo. Great line up in Emo alright. If the weather makes a miraculous u turn, I might try to make it down for Suede. Enjoy it.

Advertisement