Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze - Dec 2022

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I leave it in a shed at night time

Heavy downpours here all day, I did not miss it one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Big change here in the next few hours. Wind has changed. We're now getting a south westerly wind to bring higher temps.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Forecast is for rising temperatures overnight here so hopefully the pipes will have thawed by lunchtime tomorrow.

And apparently it's going to be close to 12C on Sunday. But rain with it.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

I filled 3 of them and covered with straw in the shed, kept me with water for the week. First two were no issue, but the one today was a little frozen at the tap, but blow lamp thawed it enough to open.

Might make up some styrofoam covers for the taps for future use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Feeling the rise in temps here as I fodder. One less layer of clothing and less ice in water bowls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I was listening to the two Johnny’s on the Radio during the week. They were on about how could people work outside in the cold. A farmer text in saying he was farming all morning and and didn’t feel too cold, he then went shopping for a few hours and was frozen, and then back farming again for the afternoon and was grand again 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Cut rushes today, might as well take advantage of the frozen ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Got out of the car at 11.30 pm last night and it showed -2, got up and went out this morning, most of the frost is gone but the yards are lethal while it's melting.

Just to add, slipped and fell twice already, like the ones you'd see in home alone 🤣

Post edited by davidk1394 on

Fell this morning too and on Thursday

• Advertisement

Slippy this morning, jezz old age catches up on you too, I'm like an old cripple trying to get around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Andrew Marr

On the 23 Jan 1947 Britain awoke to what become the coldest winter of the century. Icy winds, heavy frost and quiet a lot of snow, real austerity weather. For 3 months the coal waiting by the pits had to stay there, frozen and buried. One by one the power stations had to close. Within a week 2 million people had been laid off. England caught in the cold grip of economic crises, the sea frozen for the first time since 1929. With compressed air drill parsnips are harvested. And England on this frozen island a little piece of coal becomes of great importance. As the crisis grew Atlee's government was drawing up secret plans for dealing with mass starvation. The plans were declassified in 1978, an alarming economic file in post war Britain with a famine food programme, military style conscription to work the land, taking off 50k school children to take in the harvest.

I wonder what it was like in Ireland during the same period

Was there still ration books in place in Ireland for a good few years after WW2. I know my father talked about these ration books a lot. I'm sorry now I didn't ask him more about them as it seems they controlled what basics you were allowed to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I remember my Dad telling me that he and many of his friends had to go up the Dublin mountains to rear turf during the war years. Sugar and tea were scarce and the tea leaves were used over and over. My Mam told me that her parents (Longford) used to send food packages to her by train as she was living in Dublin. A lot of people kept a few hens in their back gardens in the city.

My mam was born in wexford in April 1947, snow was still up over the ditches at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Local roads in north Clare were absolutely lethal this morning. Freezing rain fell through the night and the roads were already wet from previous rain. Several cars overturned and stuck in ditches. People really seemed to be caught unaware of the whole thing because it was just a yellow warning. It possibly should have been red given how lethal the roads were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I found my grandparents ration books there a few years ago… Not sure how long after the war they continued on for…

One of the ration books was all crayon, done by my mother when she was very small 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,615 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My mum told me that when she was a child there was a stump of a tree in their garden maybe 7ft tall. During a snowstorm my grandfather went out and cut the tree level with the snow as they were out of fuel. When the snow subsided the stump was left standing tall.

one of the interesting stories she shared with me late one night over tea while nursing her in her final weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

An old neighbor was telling me a few years back about 1947. He worked as a farm hand on the nearby estate. He told me he took the horse from the plough on Christmas eve in the field and put her in the stable. He was said the lady of the house had serious sympathy for the the poor mare but as he said not a word for the lug that was working her. He said the frost came then followed by the snow and it was after St Patrick's day before he got back out to the plough in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@[Deleted User] I think Eamon wants to send us all back to them times. but we would need to lock up the horse encase the wolf would get at her....

I wounder was this big freeze 75 years ago the start of climate change? or was it the night of the big wind in in January 1939?

That question would be above my pay grade. I'm a bit reluctant to talk much about climate change any more given the vast swathe of agendas and science for sale that's latched onto it. Not denying it, but it does make me wonder about trends versus freak events and whether there is or isn't longer term trends at work. Humans are only a snapshot in time, change has always happened, perhaps it's us that are temporary and conditions are not supposed to permanently favour us. Doesn't change how dependent we are on bad ideas mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Maybe the ice age was the start of the climate change, those pesky dinasaurs had no regard for reducing, reusing and recycling..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Homelessness, hospital beds, and health/mental supports for those who need it.

When any Govt sorts these issues, then let’s worry about growing lettuce in window boxes to set an example for the Chinese

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Youngest came home for Christmas - he got a flight home to Dublin Airport (just up the road from my home place in NCD) from Scotland on Saturday night for £29 (STG) one way. He said that it would have cost him over £600 (STG) if he drove his car home via the ferry to Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

The father in law whose plenty young enough remembers vaguely 47 and says the snow drifts were still under ditches and trees till late may early June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think it was particularly bad in the midlands, so much so that they had difficulty opening the graves to bury the dead

Saddest event I heard of locally was a child and his uncle perished in a snow blizzard while returning from town on foot with provisions. They were found the following day both dead and huddled together.

Not sure of the date but it was well into April possibly around the 20th.

Advertisement