Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen's teeth

Options
  • 10-12-2022 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I started a wanted thread on the adverts page a couple of weeks ago looking for a used campag rear derailleur.. not surprisingly it didn’t bear any fruit. (Certain) Campagnolo 11 speed components have become increasingly hard to find, and if available command an excessive price tag. It seems that Campagnolo have pretty much abandoned this market segment and now dint offer a replacement product (rd) that one can use with an ultrashift set up ( chorus/rec/SR) This thread is part desperate plea to see if anyone has something that’ll fit the aforementioned bill and wants to sell it to me, or can point me in a right direction, or has any experience mixing and matching ultra shift Ergopowers with a power shift derailleur ( rear) or who wants to vent about Campagnolo . PB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've matched pre15 Chorus11 shifters with the same gen Athena11 FD & RD and they work just fine.

Regarding abandoning the market, that is the cost of progress. Campag road is now 12 speed. I haven't checked, but id be surprised if SRAM and Shimano are still churning out 11 speed Ultegra or DA level RD's, and even if they are, that too will also end at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pot Belge

Hi Plastik, Pre 2015 Athena and Chorus are both ultrashift, so they would be compatible. Since Campag have moved to 12, they like Shimano etc, still offer 11 speed components although(unlike shimano) these aren’t compatible with most of their outgoing groups. Sure it may be progress but It leaves lots of perfectly good setups at the mercy of becoming obsolete . If centaur, their only remaining 11 speed group, could fill that gap that'd be great but it doesn’t. I run an otherwise perfect Record 11 setup and can’t find a replacement rd for anything like a reasonable price. I’d gladly run a centaur rd but, I’ve been assured, won’t work out. This thread is part rant but also reaching out in the event someone has what I’m looking for or found a solution they’ve made work for the same issue. I suppose pre and post 2015 ultrashift setups may work, maybe someone who’s done this could advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Plenty of Record/Chorus 11sp Rears / groupsets/ part groupsets on Campagnolo For Sale Facebook page.

Also drop Graeme in Velotech in the UK a line. He sorted a V3 Record EPS interface and battery when everywere else was showing sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

I haven't tried RD's but I couldn't get a pre15 R11 working properly with a post15 SR11 FD.

Didn't realise that gen A11 were ultrashift, the shifters I have are powershift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Shimano are still manufacturing 11 and 12 speed Di2 and 11 speed mechanical for DuraAce, Ultegra, 105, GRX. I suspect 11 speed will be available for quite some time, even if DA moves entirely to 12speed.

There are some very good sources of older Campag components and parts in the UK, like CampyOldy or Hilary Stone but unfortunately they usually tend to be for pre- 2000s groupsets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sram have gone all in on etap I think, but they're made the derailleurs backwards compatible which I guess can be done with firmware. Sram could produce endless amounts of Red 10 speed mechanical and I think it would still sell well so good it worked.

Advertisement