Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training gear - general discussion

Options
  • 10-12-2022 8:00pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since there was any discussion on this forum about training gear In the past, this was a frequent topic of discussion and we even had the owner of an Irish BJJ gear seller on the forum (Wolfhound Fightwear).

I was pondering why there's less activity in general on the forum, on this topic and others, and to an extent I'm puzzled. You could say it's moved to Instagram or club Facebook groups, but the rest of boards.ie still has active forums which haven't lost as much traffic. It's also surprising considering that particular martial arts like BJJ are still growing in Ireland and you'd think there would be a greater footfall here than there is at the moment. Oh well.

I've somewhat slimmed down my collection of training kimonos of late, I've gone from 8+ to 3, mainly for reasons of space saving. What I have left are two Shoyoroll, one Scramble. One white, one black, one blue.

The main criteria for keeping the three mentioned were fit... They all fit me better than what I sold or passed away free.

To be honest I detect little difference in quality between the Shoyoroll and Scramble.

One thing I slightly dislike is Scramble's extensive use of Japanese kanji over everything. I know the owner is a big Japanophile and spent a lot of time there, and it's part of their trademark aesthetic, but I just don't personally like the use of Japanese kanji just for the sake of it. I prefer the cleaner designs of Progress, they're more mature-looking on the mat, if you're a bit "older" like I am, but the reason I tend to go with Scramble is that on balance the fit and quality have been better in terms of what I bought from Progress. Progress' rashguards run a size small, IMO, and their kimono fit is all over the place. I've had A3 from them that fit like A4, and A3 in their premium line that were like A2.

The latest thing I bought that I thought was amazing: I ordered a custom embroidered Isami belt that arrived yesterday and is the bees knees.

What is everyone enjoying wearing on the mats these days?

Advertisement