Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android Sim Free Phone Recommendation

• 11-12-2022 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My wife wants to pick up a new phone in January. She is currently with Three but wants to switch to a cheaper package like 48 or Gomo.

Budget is €250.

Has to Sim Free

Not looking for any major features, a basic camera Will suffice.

Form factor - touchscreen

internet - doesn't have to be 5g

Operator - going to go with gomo or 48

Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - Bill pay and SIM free

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Xiaomi phones (like mine) work pretty well and are reasonably priced. There's only one big red flag, with them - if you are privacy-conscious, don't get them. There are features you can't switch off or opt out of, like feedback (what is it? where does the info collected go) and the body sensors (even on the calendar!). Also, but that might have been a bug with Android and/or Google which was never sorted, entire text threads disappeared under my eyes and I was never able to get them back. Had I known that in advance, I'd have opted for another phone.

Other than that, very decent battery, good memory, great camea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭gipi

My other half bought a Motorola g31 in Argos about 6 weeks ago, after his Nokia 5.3 phone stopped working properly.

Very decent budget phone, uses it on the 48 network too

Can't post a link to the Argos page for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

i'm getting a Samsung A13 4g for Xmas ( I peeked ) Dual SIM from Harvey Norman in Black Friday deal, currently €249 expect it to drop again in Jan sales. Stick with the big names.

I ran Xiomi S2 for last couple of years, constantly updating built in apps and I don't trust it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Thanks very much spook-ie,gipi & new home,

Plenty for me to look into there, thanks for the very quick replies and all the good advice.

Neames

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, yes, forgot to say - mine is dual sim, too.

• Advertisement

I also forgot to mention - there are some pretty decent green smartphones, where parts can be easily replaced like lego bricks would without requiring any technical knowledge beyond a small screwdriver and "right-tighty, lefty-loosey".

They're probably not in the very-cheap range, but they'd most likely last years, considering how easily they can be fixed. Here's one example: https://www.fairphone.com/en/

Also, an oldeR article with some recent updates:

https://thedroidguy.com/3-best-environmentally-eco-friendly-green-android-smartphones-1067264

Post edited by New Home on

Advertisement