Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any of you chancing commute to work this week?

Options
  • 11-12-2022 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Evening,

I hope you're having a nice weekend.

It is around this time when I start getting my bike and gear ready for my commute to work the following week. I ride a roadbike..25mm tyres.

Looking at the forecast and temperatures.. I think I will be driving to work next week...

Are any of you chancing commuting to work the next few days?

A

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am. If you don't see a follow up tomorrow night you will know it went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,645 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Depends on where you are. Very Cold but dry here and roads are absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi! You are very brave....

I ride along the coast via Eastlink, Dodder and up to Sandyford..

So it gets colder and icy as you head up towards Sandyford...

Or maybe I am just being a wimp!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Do whatever you feel confident and, more importantly, competent to do.

I've been pedaling around a lot the last few days and it's absolutely no fun. Its freezing, anything but the tracks of cars are no go areas in the morning and evenings. Most cars are understanding, bar the odd dick. But I reckon they're the same tools going too fast and sliding and skidding into everyone else. I've never seen so many pile ups! I'm on a fixie thank flip, very glad I took the 23c's off for 25c's! It's no time for a front brake.

It is doable, but unpleasant. If I had other options I'd use them in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haven't cycled since the first bit of snow last Friday, too scared to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

The main roads seem ok around Dublin 15 over the weekend stayed off the bike just in case I would only cycle in this weather if I really had too no point risking injury and damage to bike not to mention a trip to A and E they are busy enough as it is .

There's a gritting map here for Dublin, I'm only pedaling on these roads from now on:

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/road-maintenance-services/winter-maintenance-service

Map for Cork:

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/roads-and-traffic-management/winter-maintenance/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

As mentioned gritted roads are fine. Cycling on non gritted roads is madness unless you like hospital food.

Yea,I think black ice and any stretch of ice... No matter how skilled or competent you are, you are very likely to slide out...

On a cycle path.. just a risk of injury from the fall itself...

On a road.. there's a risk of sliding under a vehicle..

Then there's the risk of a car, bus, truck or even other bike losing control and hitting you...

I think there is a high risk of injury..

It is mad... Whenever I watch those A &E shows on TV..often the injured patient was on a bike or motorbike ...

Thank you for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Gritting map for SE Dublin's Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council here https://dlrcocouncil.maps.arcgis.com/apps/InteractiveLegend/index.html?appid=26b95239e3a542e18443bf4e8d5b3075 But yeah, I'd go with caution, if at all, even on roads that are supposed to be gritted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'll see but I'm on a pinnacle arkose with 42mm gravel tyres that are mostly fine. I've ice tyres too if I could be arsed sticking them on a spare wheel. I had them permanently one one and than sold it. My own road and the lidl car park have been my only sketchy places so far. Even managed a massive shop yesterday on the tourer

Tomorrow looks to be the touch and go as it's to be -2 tonight but it's remained dry.

Wednesday is another matter as Tuesday is to bring some form of rain or sleet that will possibly freeze overnight.

Made it in, not much slower than usual. Slippy on the laneways but not treacherous. Main roads were fine. Only when I stopped at the end of the ride did I start to feel the cold on my toes (wearing a pair of Columbia hiking socks which are phenomenal). Pair of track pants over my winter bibs. Had a baselayer, jersey, thermal jersey, light winter jacket and a gilet. Buff around the neck, Beard around the face and a skullcap under the helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I wimped out and took the train this morning with the weather reports of freezing fog so was expecting lots of black ice. 14km commute each way from D15 and over the years this is only the 2nd or 3rd time I haven't cycled. Conditions looked a lot better than I was expecting this morning so remainder of the week remains to be seen.

I cycled Fri which was brutal and quite dangerous with a layer of frozen snow/hail for most of the commute. Roads were not gritted/salted and cycle lanes were treacherous so you had to stick to car tracks on the road. Came off the bike on Fri evening within 100m of home on a gentle slope/bend that was like an ice rink, no traction at all and wasn't expecting it to be as bad since most of the other roads were passable. A bruised and sore hip for my efforts but you can never predict the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I decided not to chance it after reading this thread. Absolutely hate getting the bus (takes twice as long!) but knowing my luck I'd have come off the bike on the first corner.

Bloody bus was freezing. Stopped for about ten minutes for a driver changeover and left all the doors open!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was on the bus on Friday, and Foxrock church inwards seemed no fun - roads hadn't been gritted never mind the footpaths and cycle lanes. Was on the dart today, so didn't see how they were. fwiw I was out on the gravel bike yesterday (pleased of my chuckier "tundra" tyres in the conditions) - it was fine off road and the quieter boreens, but anywhere the cars had compressed was lethal and some black ice where there'd been a thaw and refreeze.

Gritted now but the paths aren't, so there is several sections with an inch of ice and people effectively skating as they walk along. If you are going in the bike paths, stay as close to the road as possible. I just used the bus lane for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Plastik

Anyone been down through Deansgrange, Blackrock bypass, Booterstown in the last few days?

I commuted on Friday and the N11 from Loughlinstown roundabout to Cornelscourt and down through Deansgrange etc to Merrion set a new benchmark for the worst conditions I've ever encountered on the bike. It was plainly obvious that DLRCC had no gritters out on Thursday night/Friday morning, despite all of those roads being main arteries into Dublin city centre, and all of them included in the DLRCC gritting schedule. For the first time in all my years commuting I actually left work early and took the bike home on the Dart.

Working on WFH for the full week if I can swing it, if not I'll take the mtb, at least I can cycle easier on frozen grass where it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Taking the bus this week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What's the story with grit and bike maintenance. Will the salt wreck the gears if not cleaned off ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm working from home today but managed to get out on my hybrid for ~40km along the grand canal. The roads between Leixlip and Hazelhatch were fine. I'll probably be in the office for the rest of the week and will be pedalling rather than sitting in a queue of cars.

• Advertisement

Evening!

Yea, I drove to work this morning....

I left really early and so the roads were relatively quiet...

It's definitely not conditions for roadbikes with skinny tyres....

I don't know if any of you notice that I feel more groggy and tired after driving versus my regular non-icy commute by rothar?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm giving it a miss for this week it's just not worth it the risk of breaking something or worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

To give you an idea, I cycled out to the CX in Blanchardstown yesterday (40 odd KMs round trip), and this morning the chain was completely dry. Not a speck of lube left on it. There was surface rust starting to show on the cassette and the chain too. I'd only cleaned the whole drive train on Friday and applied fresh lube! That said, if you are using wet lube, you probably won't have this issue as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had a feeling that happened to me last year but the bike was also old so hard to tell. Definitely don't want that happening the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was out cycling this evening. No issues. Out Chapelizod road and north circular, back through the Park. Only potential issue was the roads were still a bit cold and icy in my estate so walked the bike through the estate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, a few years ago i went out on the bike on a very cold day, put it away when i got home and forgot to clean the chain. a week later, the chain was bright red with rust.

Yep.

I give the bike a quick spray with water when I get in. (It's steel, I have extra worry!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My pinnacle is the same. I've only done a few 10 km cycles on it over the last few days, all shopping or work related.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

I’m usually very good for cleaning it, especially after such terrible conditions. But I was just to cold when I got home and figured “be grand to do in the morning”, took me three times as long today 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I was off on Friday and Monday, so I missed the worst of it. This morning I walked from the house to the main road as the estate was pretty bad. The main roads were fine from Sandyford to Tallaght. I walked again on the cycle path over the M50 as it hadn't been gritted. Took me 50 minutes in total instead of the usual 30-35 (I was on a borrowed mountain bike instead of my usual road bike).

Advertisement