Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Keystrokes not recognised

• 11-12-2022 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭

I've got an old laptop that hasn't been used for a while and some keys are not registering strikes. It iss. The affected ones are:

2, 4, 7 and 9 on the top row.

e, t and [ on 2nd row.

Caps Lock, l and ' on 3rd row.

Bottom row okay.

Not sure about the function keys, but don't really use them though on this machine - not needed.

I've totally dismantled the laptop and cleaned and reseated the keyboard itself and checked the ribbons.

I'm wondering if this could be RAM related as although these were replaced a few years ago, there seems to be an issue with one of the blocks and the other only seems to work in in the deepest slot.

Any ideas as to what might be happening here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I should also note that I can't login to do any diagnostics due to one of the missing keys being part of the password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Odelay

Use the windows keypad to login?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Almost certainly damage to the keyboard itself, possibly fluids.

Plug an external USB keyboard in to log in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Why when I put in the second RAM stick does it fail to boot - just checked again and looks like of of the RAM sticks is bad. Oh well, it may do!

Able to get in now with the on-screen keyboard. That should be sufficient for my needds as I only use the laptop for car diagnostics - so when beyond the login screen it is just mouse use only. I'll disable the login password for convenience.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

Advertisement