Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish preschool (naionra) necessary before Irish primary (gaelscoil)

Options
  • 12-12-2022 4:10am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 Killester123

Hello,

I would love some advice around sending our little girl to a gaelscoil without first having gone to a Naíonra?

We won’t have access to a Naíonra so it’s a worry of how easily will she settle into an Irish primary school when she’s used of going to an English speaking crèche and preschool.

Also, if we did find a Naíonra which had availability - are they offering full hours 9-5 Mon-Fri?

Thank you!!

Post edited by Beasty on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Hi, my younger cousin is in a Gaelscoil. She did not attend an Irish speaking preschool or crèche. I suppose it would definitely offer an advantage but it’s not entirely necessary.

i doubt she’ll be the only junior infant who will start having not gone to an Irish speaking preschool or crèche anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

No need at all.

They will pick up the language easily at that age in a gaelscoil.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 Killester123

Great, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

No need to do so, and they can't insist on it. As you say, very few naíonraí offer a full day service - sadly, they don't really cater for the single parent, or two working parent family.

Just put your child's name down for the local Gaelscoil. And if you know any Irish yourself, just by speaking to your daughter in Irish she'll have a better headstart than anyone from the creche which is very useful of course, but limited by the fact that the kids will normally speak English among themselves.

I've heard of Gaelscoileanna that give priority to Irish-speaking families, so if your child has Irish in the home you will be at the top of the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

My 2 grandchildren are in Irish schools, one went to a naoinra, one went to a regular crèche.

Both of them are doing great with the language!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

My son started juniors this year and hadn't attended naoinra and he loves school and is getting on great with the language.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP you posted your query in the forum dedicated to feedback on this site

I have moved it to our Primary and Preschool forum

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No need at all.They pick the language up really quickly in infants. They learn through games, poems, rhymes, AISTEAR etc.

Advertisement