Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Plans

Options
  • 12-12-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Has anyone out there got any good resources for getting my fitness back up, I had a difficult 2022 with a few mental health problems and long covid and this wiped out all of my fitness and motivation to get on a bike.

I need some resources so I can start 2023 off the right way and get my motivition back to where it should be.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find a good motivation is filling in the map; find roads you've not cycled before and it's a nice bit of feedback about progress; if you're on strava you can get it to show you every road you've been on.

i completed 99% of north county dublin a while back (there's always another little back lane i've not spotted before so i won't claim 100%) and it was fun doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

Maybe join a club if you have time, or target a specifc event. For our triathlon club we will look at a sportif in early April (VCB) as our target and have a plan from early January to then, 2 x turbo sessions Wednesday & Friday and a group spin at the weekend, starting at 50k and working up to 110k. Weekend spins will hopefully have different avg speed groups, from 22k/h to 30+k/h. Rough outline below.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

For me, it was important to set goals for myself. they have to be achievable but also require me to have some discipline so that I didn't choose the couch or bed over a spin. I still set goals but probably have formed enough of a habit that I don't really need them now.

An app like Strava or Map My Ride will help you manage these goals.

I also like to put my schedule in a spreadsheet, cells go green if done, red if skipped. Too much red motivates me

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

If you have access to a turbo trainer or similar you could start a training program with Zwift / Trainer Road / Sufferfest (and I am sure there are others out there). They are a greeat way to slowly build fitness during the dark and cold winter months when it can be difficult to get outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

Following on from @Londonirish72 , Trainerroad is good for getting fitness up and is best if you're aiming towards a goal. From scratch you'd be best aiming for 6 months at it (taking you of course into the middle of the summer). I'm back on it this year, and while it does what it says on the tin, it's no great shakes in the entertainment stakes. Zwift is more gamified and probably has a more "social" aspect to it. I've a mate who swears by Rouvy. All these of course are indoor and require some level of equipment - ideally a smart trainer

Best of luck OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I tend to work best off a mixture of process and outcome goals - probably more in favour of process goals.

I use TrainerRoad, and notwithstanding the turbo trainer (and possibly sensors if you use "virtual power"), it only needs a mobile phone to operate.

There seems to be a lot of updates to zwift recently, but I stopped my sub as I just wasn't using it post lockdowns. I'd rather my own entertainment of music or podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I spent a grand signing up for an endurance race in another country. Every time I thought about not training I remembered I'd spent a lot of money and I'd better keep training if I wanted to break the arbitrary distance I'd set myself (and/or die after <6 hours).

Worked, did spin classes, short course xc races (thanks epic MTB), circuit training, road spins, MTB spins, pretty much everything I could because I'm a tight fisted so and so and hated the thought of wasting so much money.

Hit my distance on the 4th year, upped it for the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

get a mate to cycle with first I would say and then if you had something you wanted to do plan together for that. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement