Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Multizone/Multi Input Home Audio System

Options
  • 12-12-2022 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all ,

I've been looking into a home audio system and everything out there seems to be crazy expensive for what I want it to do - I want around a 6 channel multizone / multi-input audio system so I can play whatever in any of the 6 zones at any volume.

I am in no way an audio guru and know actually very little on the subject so anyones 2 cents would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking on purchasing a server cabinet and fitting it out with the following; 6 x 2 channel amps (1 for for each zone - something like 2x60W). 6 x echo dots (1 for each amp for each zone).

I'd then have 2 x ceiling speakers in each of the zones and another 6 echo dots (1 hidden in each zone) for voice control.

I would name the echo dots in the server cabinet something like "Kichen Speakers" and "Master Bedroom Speakers" etc and name the corresponding echo dot in each of the rooms "Kitchen Dot" and "Master Bedroom Dot" etc. A simple voice command like "Alexa, Play music on Master Bedroom Speakers" or "Alexa, volume 5 in Master Bedroom". It could also be controlled from your phone via spotify etc.

Another advantage is that you can group echo's together and name them so you could have a 'downstairs' zone with all the zones downstairs grouped...

Another advatage is that if anything goes wrong all you have to replace is 1 amp and not the whole unit - or if you want to expand the zones you can add on an amp, 2 echo dots and a set of speakers. It also works out a lot cheaper... echo dots are only £16.99 on amazon at the moment..

Any thoughts or anticipated pitfalls? Rough schematic attached... thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

You could also just buy some wireless speakers and discreetly place one of them in each room. Sonos speakers are already Alexa-ready I think. And they sound pretty good! So no need for echo dots or wiring through the ceiling or amps.

Advertisement