Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless homeowner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

If they bought before 2020, then they were already either owneroccupiers or landlords during the first eviction ban in the pandemic era.

They could have sold the home at the time (or never rented it out and continued to live there ).

Instead this landbaby (hardly can be called a lord ) willfully ignored the first eviction ban and remained landlord until this day.

I really don't see how they deserve sympathy. If they go to o connell street in the evening they might get a free bowl of soup at GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’m quickly checking in on this so maybe someone has pointed this out already, given that the eviction ban was only recently enacted with emergency legislation, the “waiver” signed did not include the consideration that the owner would be banned from evicting the tenant even if they needed the property for their own use. This was an unforeseen change to the tenancy, and one likely to have significant ramifications for the sector as a whole, wait for the increased volume of evictions in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

People coming into the country with no passports or documentation & being given bed & board.

Were getting everything we deserve for voting in Fianna Fáil, Fianna Gael & Greens

They don’t & wont serve any of us.

Im hoping that you understand that the ban on evictions which most likely did not exist when that particular owner entered the rental agreement with the tenant and the owner was correct at the time in assuming that if a valid notice was served, she could reoccupy her house at the end of the notice period.

As far as you are concerned, LLs will leave the sector, you will continue to whine about LLs, and cooperates will continue to raise rents. Which is equally simple to understand, I hope.

Actually you do, if you serve valid notice, at the end of the eviction ban. It is in the Residential Tenancies Act 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

I think that's somewhat OK in the long run as a strategy, rental properties to be primarily provided by large institutional investors. But in the current context the small landlord still has a part to play until such time as the country has adequate rental stock. The move to ban evictions is a 'live today, die tomorrow' move by the government which is likely to cause more problems than it solves. This case highlights that, someone is still homeless, it's the homeowner rather than the tenant is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

If she had issued the correct notice she would be sitting in her property right now but she didn't so she isn't. As for the eviction ban that is the law of the land and she has to abide by it simple as that no sob story changes that. LL's can leave the sector all they like I couldn't give a tupenny **** they can't bring the property with them. Yeah it's only the big corporate LL's that are raising rents pull the other one will ya I've heard all this bullsh!t landlord propaganda before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You don't think the homeless deserve sympathy. Ok.

• Advertisement

Well there's the moratorium then the 4yr rule now extended to 6yrs. Then the notice period.

So not nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would say they are homeless, yes. Pretty sure people on the housing list wouldn't regard themselves as housed if they were put in a tent in a field in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Spent 8 years as a renter myself from 2013 to 2021, post college graduation. That was in 4 different properties in 2 seperate urban locations. None owned by institutional rental firms. All owned by small landlords with either 1 or less than 10 properties. Was never once subjected to a rent increase in that time. Never once had an issue with getting anything repaired either. Small landlords are not all bad. I was glad to rent those properties until such time I was ready to buy my own house.

The most likely result from this rental ban is that more small time landlords will sell up in 2023. Good news for prospective buyers who most likely will be owner occupiers. Bad news for renters, as the pool of rental properties will shrink. Most people aged 22-30 will look to rent in a house share scenario as they're not ready yet to take on the financial responsibility of house ownership. They're in for another screwing in the next 12 months.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The fact is that legislative changes have meant that the agremeent remains in place and landlords cannot evict a tenant. If you oppose the "waiver" as you phrase it, then take it up with your TD. However, the fact is that the owner of a property does not and should not have the right to occupy a property that they chose to let and signed a legal document to enable this letting. That temporary legislation is enacted under special circumstances to assist tenants at a time of economic hardship is unfortunate but one must "take the rough with the smooth".

You possibly are correct that there will be a load of evictions in March, unless the government decide that in the public interest to extend the moratorium. That is neither here nor there for the current "crisis" though (high fuel costs, rising rents, shortage of accommodation, etc) and as with many laws brought in quickly, they do impact the few. However, the landlord currently being given airtime brought this upon herself completely so I couldn't give a flying fig about her predicament!

The landlady in the car is homeless too, who said she wasn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

when a tenancy ends

A tenancy only ends when terminated properly under conditions allowed by law. The tenant in the OP still has a perfectly legal tenancy.

I appreciate that you don’t care about her personally, to be honest, neither do I. I am firmly of the opinion that the rental sector is no longer for small LLs and should be left to the larger professional LLs, even if that means less properties, higher rents and more evictions. But the irony for you and your ilk is that without small LLs, this crisis gets a whole lot worse. I’m not a lawyer, but I have read that there is a Constitutional issue with a prolonged moratorium on the owners property rights, so it’s unlikely the moratorium can continue indefinately.

Less Landlords means less rental properties, which in turn means less supply and higher rent costs.

This is your preferred outcome?

The properties don't disappear when a landlord exists the market. It will either be bought by another landlord or an owner occupier (who was probably living in a rental, freeing that up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

What people don't want to understand is in the long run the tenants will loose out. The small landlord will flee the market. So the tenants will be left to rent out from the big Corporations.

Let's see then the winging.

I am sure big corporations will find some law to turf you out if you are a day late with your rent or more likely accrue interest for any day late with your rent.

How you wish the small landlord will be back in the market renting you their second home.

Mark my words, accrued imterest for late payers. Time will tell.

Living the life

You know the obvious response to that, God knows it has been alluded to enough times. Many LLs would prefer to leave their properties empty than rent again or sell, and often there is more than 1-2 people renting a house, so that though a couple may buy a property, there may be double that number looking for a new place to rent, thus there is a net increase in the numbers looking to rent even if the buyers are themselves renting.

This is what some are blind to, they hate LLs so much that they want them to leave the sector, then they wonder why the corporates are buying up properties. Then they will say that corporates shouldn’t be allowed to buy whole developments, but without the corporates and small LLs, there are no rentals.

Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Absolutely insane stuff. Yet they don't want to own. They want to have a leprechaun buying a house for them and handing them the key for "possession".

Living the life

The corporates will make better landlords. It makes much more sense to have institutional landlords than small landlords who can't afford to replace a boiler when it needs to be done. The days of the wild west rental market where people were encouraged (through interest relief etc) to buy and rent are over.

I actually agreed with you on this, they are obviously more professional and run their business without sentiment. At least tenants are able to plan with certainty for the automatic rent increases and know that the LL will be completely unsympathetic to any requests related to rent, that is important for both parties.

I also agree that there should be no incentives for small landlords to invest in rentals, it should be left to corporates to outbid other buyers for available properties, they can afford to pay more after all. Everyone is a winner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not sure who my "ilk" are as I'm neither a landlord nor a tenant. I have also acknowledged here several tikes that the laws are unfairly biased against LLs.

However, the current moratorium on evictions was necessary as a result of poor housing policies by successive governments and also the after-effects of a brutal war on the other side of Europe.

Our rental policies do indeed need to change to encourage small LLs to stay in the business.

But, whilst I stand to be corrected, I can't see how agreeing to rent out your property meaning it (and you) will be subject to laws that can change will cause a constitutional question.

No one wants to hear it in the current climate, but honestly, being a small landlord is desperate. Rent pressure zones, eviction bans, HAP checks, unusable RTB website, etc etc, it never ends and I am getting out ASAP

Is it in dublin I´ll buy yer gaf off ya.

200 thousand quid alright?

• Advertisement

Advertisement