Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you committed a serious crime would you plead guilty or not guilty?

• 13-12-2022 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You've just committed a serious crime and the Gardaí have you in for questioning.

Would you be the type who'd try and wriggle out of it or would tell the Gardaí everything got to court, plead guilty, etc

If you committed a serious crime would you plead guilty or not guilty? 48 votes

I'd own up and plead guilty.
    27%
    dinjo99pappyodanielfrecklierDunedindmc17richbomumo3Sunny Dispositionrodders999Foggy Jew[Deleted User]machasehDT2016 13 votes
    I'd do everything to get away with the crime
    72%
    Kingp35victor8600Ravage1616dbasbanie01finnojohndoe99toutsSchnooksSonoyourdeadwrightsully123For Forks Sakecj maxxRay PalmerBattleCorpBorneTobyWildekieran.Boar HunterGaillimh1976 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'd refuse to plead.

The judge would then enter a "Not Guilty" plea on my behalf, so my concience would be clear, and I'd have a chance of getting away with it.

Too wide a question - did I think the victim deserved it, did I think I would get away with it, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Define 'serious crime'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It would depend on how much evidence the guards had.

Stephens day hangover type thread. Try bit harder op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Serious assault, drug trafficking, murder, major armed robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭mumo3

I'd be confessing to stuff I didn't do. I break out in a sweat when I see a check point like I've a body in the boot. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Wriggle out as much as possible or leave the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Those attract a fairly long sentence. No point in pleading guilty unless you're fairly sure the guards will be able to pin it to you. If however the guards walk in on you with a dead body beside you and holding a bloodied knife then it's better to just own up

• Suppose it’s a tricky one really because unless you’re found in that situation it’s hard to know what you’d actually say.

I think I’d plead based on the likelihood of being found guilty. If there’s no major evidence (that I know of) which gives me a chance of getting off I’d prob say not guilty but if there’s no way to turn then I would be better off pleading guilty and getting half a sentence which is how it seems to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

'major armed robbery'

Define 'major', like are we talking on the massive Charlie Haughey scale, or the major but not quite massive Bertie Ahern and Ray Burke scale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Given that I enjoy the presumption of innocence? Why would I plead guilty or offer an admission? It is the job of the Gardaí to gether evidence and of the DPP to present it in court and secure a conviction. Barring a guilty plea affording consideration in terms of sentencing mitigation? Theres rarely anything tangible other than a clear conscience to be gained by an admission.

I don't know that "i'd do everything possible" to get away with it, rather I wouldn't rush into making the prosecution's case for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

as a young person….

if the evidence is questionable, unsubstantial, weak or sparse… not guilty.

However…if a good chance of a conviction exists, save yourself the time, money, heartache, accept your punishment and put your mind to doing the time. The judge should take the guilty plea into account.

as an older person….

say 52 or over… it might be appropriate to just chance it. Not going to be a walk in the park doing time at that age especially and on release into society starting again as a 60+ year old…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I would plead not guilty for reasons of insanity. And not judge or jury in the land could argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The crime is done you can't change that no matter how much you want, Trust me you don't want to go to prison ,

Rotting away in a cell for the rest of your days won't change a thing, Plead not guilty & save any kind of a life you can & try to do some good ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I can't imagine ever being in that situation as I am incel hermit, crime is something normies do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends, if there's clear CCTV of me committing the crime and no possible outs on it the sentence would likely be reduced with a guilty plea so in that case I'd go with that. If it was a case just based around some fella waffling in court that I told him I killed X but beyond that there was zero actual evidence I'd definitely plead not guilty and let it play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Mark25

All depends on the circumstances and how strong the evidence the Guards have.

Happened to me in real life. Not the most serious charge ever but bad enough and with my record knew I was in trouble. I had been in trouble before so I knew the score and how the Guards operated. Being honest hated what I saw on the CCTV and that influenced me. Was about 10 years ago before you had solicitors in the interview with you I didnt really have a choice and pleaded guilty. Took ages to get through court though.

Looking back probably the right thing to do back then. Definitely was taken into account when I got sentenced with some of it suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

In this country you would be better off pleading not guilty and coming across as an utter scumbag who is likely to reoffend within 30 seconds of leaving the court. That way you're sure to get off as the Justice Industry will want you free walking the streets earning them more money in fees by committing multiple crimes. If they think you are genuinely sorry and won't reoffend you are more likely to end up in jail because there is no money in it for them if they let you walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As in your dinner was a bit cold when you got home type of "deserved it"?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

only Thing I can say definitively is I would never make a statement to the guards about anything, you can and are always better tell you’re story in court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Why would I commit a crime?

If I would ever commit a crime, which is something I'd try to avoid, then it would have probably been in self defence of a more heinous crime. For example defending myself when some k person attacked me in Ballymun, but overdoing it thereby committing a crime. Then I'd own up to it saying that I tried to defend myself but unfortunately did the k person's head in and now they are at the Mater.... I could see that happen yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

I remember violating the law once when a bit too tipsy, public intoxication was charged. There was nothing to admit to because I was black out drunk, eventually I got an Adult Caution.

No. More of he knocked down my kid and left him in a wheelchair "deserved it". That sort of thing. Worrying that you immediately went for the home violence option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

😯 What did you do Popcorn ??? 😯

...forget a day in the Christmas Countdown?

Here now, it will be okay, no one will even notice 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the point is that "deserved it" is wholly subjective. We'll draw the line in different places, and some might agree with you whether a particular action is one side of the line vs. the other ....... but if you're establishing that thinking someone "deserved it" makes it ok, then don't be surprised is someone else has a different definition to thinking you deserve something!

Either way, it's not really relevant to how you would plead

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Exactly... It was only after he threw the plate at her that he realized that it was a salad 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd ask for a tribunal, make it go on for about 8 years , something along the line of what Bertie Ahern tried or maybe Liam Lawlor.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thirty plus years ago our law lecturer gave us a few sessions on what to do if we were being interviewed by special branch. He was a well known Republican and he was not talking about the Irish special branch;-). I’m sure many barristers who qualified in the 80s will know who I’m talking about.

So I do exactly what he advised - say nothing at all, as he said more people are in the “joy” because they opened their mouths than because of what they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Incel hermits. The new vegan

they find a way to get their “affliction” into every conversation

I'll decide whats relevant to how I plead, as long as thats alright with you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is an old story

A jester falls foul of the king and is about to be sentence to death. He pleads with the king that he can teach his best horse to talk within 5 years. The king takes him up with the deal. While the jester is teaching the horse somebody watching laughs that it will never work. The jester says I may not teach the horse but he has 5 more years and the king may be dead by then.

In Ireland there isn't a huge incentive to fight ever charge because we don't load charges to get a plea deal like in the US. In saying that the death of the school boy by the rugby boys does show what money and a good defense can make a huge deal. The boy who came forward got the harshest punishment.

Graham O'Dwyer should probably be released due to the nature of how the evidence was gathered so should fight tooth and nail. His case goes to the protection of us all and is important for that reason regardless of what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd keep committing more and more serious crimes in an attempt to get out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Graham Dwyer actually helped build a case against himself with the level and detail of answers he provided when questioned , such was his arrogance that he’d never be “caught” or found guilty for the crime of murder- not saying the outcome of the trial wouldn’t have been the same but he certainly confirmed as true a lot of aspects that wouldn’t have been that easy to prove in court - he didn’t realise just how much evidence Gardai had at the time so was quite willing to answer what appeared to be very innocuous questions around places times and dates- all of which helped link him to the burner phone he used

Yes they used illegal information to find out he was lying so all information from that should be thrown out as fruit from the poisoned tree. I am pretty sure he did it but legally this has all been very dodgy. He denies many statements the gardai claim he made and given what they knew it matches that they COULD have lied.

The Dowdall witness at the moment also looks very suspect.

Just want the legal system to be beyond reproach and unfortunately my interaction with Gardai does not make me trust their word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think more along the lines of the Sinnfein Northern Bank job.

Something I just found out receently is that if you admit to certain wrongdoings in a tribunal, then those admissions cannot be used against you in any subsequent criminal trial. No wonder there all mad for tribunals! As for the op question, no comment all the way and not guilty all the way.

Yes but that doesn't mean you can't be charged and any evidence still can be used. It is just the admission that can't be used.

It is a bit like the child abuse allegation where people were promised they could revel all details and not be charged and the tapes would destroyed. To release those tapes would be a betrayal of the agreement and make it next to impossible to do similar in the future.

It's the legal system that must obey itself for the overall good.

Anyway I always plead not guilty. I mean who's going to believe those sheep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

If murdered someone and you were able to get the charge reduced to "manslaughter" you would only spend about 4 years in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

The only "serious" crimes I'd ever consider committing would be either a very well planned heist (I'd probably have a good idea of who I'd rob too) or very large scale vat fraud. The only way I'd consider committing either would be if I'd no family left and needed a massive amount of money to bounce and start a new life. The vat fraud is probably the most logical one in that case as it would be the easiest.

Either way if I was caught and brought back to face trial I'm doing everything I can to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

I'm not a criminal, have no convictions and have no real experience of the legal system.

However, even I know that:

a) You never speak to any garda about anything without legal representation. EVER.

b) It should be less likely that you admit to anything in their presence either.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Advertisement