Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non contributory pension - means testing

• 13-12-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi,

I’ve recently moved back to Ireland with my family (wife, 2 kids) after being abroad with them for a few years. My dad is on a contributory pension and my mam on non contributory so is means tested.

My question is, would my income impact on her pension? She’s mean tested if she has savings ie if she has 10k, 20k etc that her pension will be adjusted.

Rent here is a joke, we’re trying to save for a mortgage and my wife is doing her masters full time here so living with my parents is the ideal scenario. So I’m just worried when I get work, would it affect her pension? Say I earned €40k pa for example. I don’t want to call the social welfare and raise any flags for now or even sign on currently until I find work which shouldn’t take too long. If it does impact, I need to figure out the impact and have my mother inform social welfare. I do not pay her rent and we buy our own food.

Just trying to get my ducks in a row that if it impacts, I need to figure something else out and rent somewhere or pay her her pension difference if it’s reduced or withdrawn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

No, your income or any of your financial situation will have absolutely no effect on your mams non con pension.

You and your wife and kids are seen as one family and your mam and dad as a unit are seen as a different family. The fact that you are all living under one roof is totally irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. This makes sense but she had me worried it would impact.

Advertisement