Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media WiFree

Options
  • 13-12-2022 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi can anyone explain how I actually connect? I understand that as a virgin media broadband customer, when not at home I can connect to other people's virgin media hubs provided they have wifree enabled.

I too have it enabled and chose a password during the setup process as necessary.

But how do I actually connect to someone else's router using wifree?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You connect to "Horizon Wi-Free" - The first time your connect a device to the Wi-Free network you will be prompted to enter this password and your My Virgin Media username

https://www.virginmedia.ie/broadband/learn-about-broadband/wi-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Kittykat67

I spent months trying to get this sorted last year. I contacted virgin media and they could not sort it despite numerous phone calls. I gave up in the end. It was so frustrating as it just would not work. The worst part was that it used to work for me and I used to use it for a couple of years and it was so handy. Then it just stopped for no reason. I just tried again tonight and it actually let me connect so I am hoping it is fixed now. I hope you got sorted. You just create a password as you said you did. Then when out of the house and near a wifree signal (even just passing someones house) click on horizon wifree in the settings. Put in the password. Once it connects you won't need to put in the password anymore, it will connect automatically anytime you are in range of a wifree signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

thanks for that. I didnt manage to get it working around the time of my original post, but I will give it another go this weekend.

It drove me demented at the time as I tried,then left it for a few months and then tried again with no luck. I didn't expect it to work today so I was shocked it even connected. If it works again tomorrow it will be another story. Good luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I had much the same experience trying to get it too work, I may try again so (no fear will lead too usual dissapointment)

Well tried to see if in my account and no joy, cant even turn it on

I'll try when I'm out and about, no fear might work

Post edited by jeffk on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭martinosullivan

Did anyone ever get this to work?

What do I need to put in for the following settings?

EAP method
    Phase 2 authentication
    CA certificate
    Identity
    Anonymous identity

I finally got mine to work a few months ago. Now it's stopped working again the last few weeks. It just keeps saying connecting but doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I struggled with this while with Virgin. In my experience you need a very strong signal to be able to connect

I don't think it's that, it Is just a disaster. It works for awhile and then just won't work for months for no reason.

Advertisement