Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone, Fiber, and Landline Woes.

Options
  • 14-12-2022 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

So this morning we got fiber installed. A little surprised at the 8am knock on the door but, hey, line is in early in the day, no waiting around. That's great.

Speed test shows internet working, getting pretty much 450 down, 50 up.

So for an up to 500 that's to be expected.

Ping times better than the DSL, but... Not amazing.

Land line... No dial tone.

Call land line from mobile.

"We're sorry, we cannot connect your call"

Call 1907, to ask if this is normal or maybe there's just a short wait.

"Oh, we have to claim your phone number from the old service provider..." But vodafone you are the last services provider... "This may take 48 hours to resolve, you'll have a temporary number in the mean time" but there isn't even a dial tone!

... Is this normal?

If I'd known there would be 48 hours with no land line, when switching from vodaphone DSL, to Vodafone Fiber then I could have made some preparations. We specifically said we wanted to keep our landline.

How long is a reasonable time for this to be a setup issue?

Post edited by kiffer on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

If it was DSL did your phone plug straight into the phone line along with the modem, probably through a splitter or the double faceplate wallbox where the line comes in?

With fibre, you will be on their VoIP service for phone - the phone has to plug into the phone port on the back of the modem instead.

There is also a delay as, although you stayed with Vodafone, your phone service is effectively moving provider from the OpenEir system onto their own in-house VoIP system and that can take a day or two unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

It was plugging into the back of the old Vodafone modem, I'm pretty sure it was already on their Voip set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭KildareP

Ah ok, then it should be just a matter of them moving the VoIP profile from your old modem to the new.

Sounds like something has gone a bit screwy if you have absolutely nothing at all via the phone port, worth rebooting the modem in case it pulls the config down on reboot.

Oher than that you may have to get back onto customer care and hopefully get someone who knows that needs to be done. Not exactly easy when dealing with Vodafone support...

I'll give it an hour and ring support, rather than 1907 which I think put me through to basically sales.

"You won't have a phone line for up to 48 hours" should probably have been said at some point prior to this if it needed to be moved to voip, and if it's the other, then it should be resolved pretty easily, unless it was a step the installer skipped.

Things are pretty tense here.

"Is the phone working yet? Why isn't the phone working?"

Logged into router, no phone number configured, checked a few places,

in Status & Support - Voice Line Status it says go to phone settings in expert mode, doesn't seem like a good idea to mess with it.

I'll trust the process and assume that something is happening in the background, and there's some remote handover happening, but as I said tensions in the house are rising. There really really should have been some warning if the phone was going to be out of commission for more than a short time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

sounds like your line was on a ptsn line so with vodafone it can take up to 48 hours when miragting from old copper to a voip system. its anooying as hell. dunno why they dont tell customers. if it was going voip to voip it would be swapped over straight away or within the hour.

Advertisement