Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But the thread isn't called are you happy with your car, the topic of discussion is Mr musk harming the brand. It holds up that he is. Evidently the growth would be more for various reasons but mostly centered around him personally.

There are probably really questionable behaviours like why he was allowed do cybertruck an utterly mad proposition swallowing funds from the business which could have been used to keep stalks on the steering wheel.

As I've stated multiple times with multiple examples he is now a harm to Tesla as is the premise of the conversation. I don't think anyone including myself would dispute that without them or perhaps him ev growth would not have ramped up as quickly.

It's a forum, it's a discussion people like myself are entitled to discuss the proposition without it being ring fenced to owners. There are also numerous studies indicating people who purchase large value products are less likely to give negative views on their purchase. Human nature . But I'm open to all ears and haven't tried to push opinions out of the topic.

Have I.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's when you proposed an alternative view on the ownership experince that I think you were going a bit too far. I don't believe any person can speak to the ownership experience of something they haven't owned.

With regard to is Musk harming the brand, I think there's enough evidence to show that their's a small minority of people who have stayed away from the brand because of his antics, but the as the sales numbers show, there's plenty more people who just don't factor the public persona of major shareholders and employees into their vehicle purchasing decisions, there's probably even a few who agree with him and will buy a Tesla to support him.

I'm not a shareholder of the company so I don't particularly care if they sell 1,000,000 or 1,100,000 cars in a given period.

I don't recall proposing an alternative view of ownership. The only thing I mentioned was the dramatic fall in price and 46 percent in many cases of value in under 2 years.

Not really a commentary on personal ownership tbf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Maybe it wasn't how you intended it, but that's what it looked like to me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Did you not quote that 46% back to me after the Audi GT post I put up dropping from €130k to €80k in one year?

I would expect 50% after 3 years on any car and Tesla is no different here. Do you expect your BYD to fair out better?

• Advertisement

So I never mentioned personal ownership then. Thanks.

No idea frankly. But I don't envisage savage price cuts to boost sales in order to pump stock price and cash flow from online deposits.

That's a legitimate take away.

BYD done it in China so I wouldn’t rule it out. Audi are doing it, VW are doing it. MG done it.

They will have to if they want to compete.

A BYD will not be worth any more than a Tesla or any of the German brands by year 3 so end result is the same. Foolish to expect otherwise.

Pretty sure I said 'no idea frankly' . Best not put words in my mouth. Then call me foolish..

Anyway cheers for the replies, I think this has run its course now for me. I can't provide any more reason why I won't buy one now and that musk is not good for the company. Amazingly enough none of those specific points were actually what was responded to but such is the nature of discussion obfuscation and misdirection.

Enjoy the cars lads. Well wear.

We shall await the facts. Facts and stats currently stay otherwise. You may be 100% correct or 100% wrong the figures currently prove one side and the figures will prove it in the future.

Facts and stats are void of personal opinion thankfully.

Id also expect BYD to be there next year if they can get enough cars into the country.

• Advertisement

When you say you want to give an alternative view on the postive news offered about ownership, it kind of implies that you have experience of ownership and you want to share the negatives.

Is the root of your anger on behalf of Tesla owners that they brought the price down? Luckily you didn't own one and didn't experience the price drop. I didn't either at the time, because I thought that the MY/M3 was overpriced for what you got and the quality didn't fit the price tag. It looks like a lot of other people are also happy with the value proposistion at the cars current prices. You might even say that the move has enhanced the reputation of the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DrPsychia

I probably dislike Musk and his antics as much as you do but I don't let it consume me. I'd be happy to see him replaced by someone who's stable but it won't happen. It's obvious that you have been burned by his price cuts, I'd be bitter too but how long will you let it consume you before it negatively impacts your mental health?

I believe a lot of people who are enjoying their Tesla ownership are not going to boycott it because of Musk until something comes along with a better package for a similar price. How people define better or worse is up to them and their preferences.

I am highly critical of Musk and Tesla but that wouldn't stop me from buying a Tesla because as an overall package I believe it's great value, especially a Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thing that's not sitting well in this thread, and has been avoided by the anti-Musk cohort, is that Twitter is now more Musk than Tesla is.

Yet some highly principled folk seem happy to plug away using Twitter yet would avoid a Tesla - bit of a head scratcher.

Of course the answer is that they are parking their principles because they want/need something from Twitter that they don't from Tesla.

I mean, have a principle or don't have a principle, but don't bend in the wind - looks weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭allinthehead

This exactly, selective morality at its finest, a viral infection that circulates among the triggered left.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭eire4

I can only speak for myself but I don't and would not use twitter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A man of principles so 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

I’d also add as one who criticised Musk that I deleted my Twitter account in about 2015, so I want to distance myself from this comment, in case anyone thought silence was acceptance of the premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,071 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Is Musks image hurting Tesla?

Yes

Are Musks decisions as Tesla CEO good for the company? Yes

Similarly

Is chademo killing the leaf? Yes

Is Toyota attempting to unsuccessfully kill all electric cars? Yes

Are the media overhyping Musks personality as part of a potential vendetta against EVs? Yes

Are other car brand CEOs also assholes? Probably

Is there a perfect car brand image wise? Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

We are looking at a 2nd hand EV as well. Won’t be a Tesla - the interior build quality is noticeably bad. Musk being a knob rounded that decision out for us.

An EV would work for our use cases and lifestyle, but Weckler’s article was a very measured piece on the realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

100 percent right. Good decision. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Your argument could be great but the moment I see someone using Musk as a reason not to purchase any logic goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

He's a bit a loose cannon when it comes to predictability. He could decimate any company on a whim. They also don't have a tradition sales model, it's primarily about selling a new product.

That has to colour customers opinions and experiences. So it's not solely irrational to avoid a company due to that.

Cutting prices to maintain market share in the face of increased competition is part of that. Though that's not unique to Tesla in fairness.

Especially when the poster gives their money to fraudulent VAG CEO’s while running their mouth off other CEO’s.

Delusional opinions come to mind.

Always tried to belittle posters buying cars after they have spent more (for a worse product) from VAG and then tries to hide from it.

Agree but one can’t have those opinions of Musk and then ignore the actions VAG CEO’s while they drive their VAG car. Do as I say, not what I do, comes to mind from a certain cohort of posters.

They should be consistent in their opinions and currently, the cleanest CEO IMO is BYD. Hypocrites because it’s suits their mindset in an attempt to troll posts.

They won’t be happy when they see the massive hair cuts eTron’s will take in 2024 unfortunately.

Won’t bother me in the slightest. I don’t buy cars to make money, I don’t need to.

Why not have this conversation with the person who originally wrote the post..

Show me all these posts where I have been running my mouth off all the time about Musk? You will find lots about the terrible build quality which is what I was agreeing with in regards the original post, I owned one of them so I am entitled to my opinion. You have too much time on your hands trolling my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

what model did you own that terrible build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Model 3 2022. Doors not closing properly, tear in seats, loads of panel gaps, terrible paint quality. Wind noise, rattles, just a cheap experience.

• Advertisement

It's perfectly reasonable, if my local car dealer was an absolute cnut I wouldn't buy from him either.

Advertisement