Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

65 trailer - Adam Driver v Dinos

Options
  • 14-12-2022 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭

Coming in March. Here's the synopsis:

After a catastrophic crash on an unknown planet, pilot Mills quickly discovers he's stranded on Earth... 65 million years ago. Now, with only one chance at rescue, Mills and the only other survivor, Koa, must make their way across an unknown terrain riddled with dangerous prehistoric creatures in an epic fight to survive.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I am taken aback by the notion something like this exists: it's like a throwback to those Elevator Pitch thrillers of the 90s, albeit with dino CGI you'd not have got back then (Jurassic Parks notwithstanding). Would be nice if there was a renaissance for these star-driven, stripped-down kind of blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Looks fun! Predator vibes too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

At first I was thinking, great - someone is finally going to give us the jeopardy and thrills that Jurassic Park/World hasn't given us in decades. But having heard the set-up I'm now thinking it'll be cut from the same cloth as JP albeit with a sci-fi slant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Plot prediction: I reckon whatever help eventually arrives to save Driver in the final act is what accidentally/intentionally wiped out the dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd prefer if he was by himself, cant see how adding a kid to the story makes it more interesting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭p to the e

Around the 2:03 mark I thought you could see some falling meteors in the background. Could be wrong though.

Why hasn't anyone thought to cast Adam Driver in an action flick before? Hopefully we see more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Always handy to have a second character, it just let's him externalise what he's thinking to someone. Can't really have him say much if it's just him on his own. It can - and has - been done well to just have someone alone with almost no dialogue, like All Is Lost. But even Tom Hanks had Wilson to externalise/give exposition to in Castaway.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

true, could have had a self aware droid/drone of some sort though if they didnt want a scooby gang?, an interactive Wilson ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ha, true, like they did with Tom Hanks in Finch (recurring theme here it seems!).

I guess a regular person is probably a lot cheaper though 😅

A possibly good dinosaur film...I am there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is indeed still a real film coming out. Here's a new trailer for proof it's a new thing and not some discovered relic from the 90s.

There was a review embargo until day of release by the looks of it...and they are pretty shocking...30 percent on rotten tomatoes and dropping.

one thumbnail I saw for a review - "Mediocre Sci-Fi but Adam Driver Brings the Heat" ^^ the audience score is ~62 so probably a more reasonable score than the critics

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It being dinosaurs is such a wasted detail of the film, primarily because the film goes in a weird direction and has a few recognizably real dinosaurs, but it focuses heavily on what were probably other real lizards/dinosaurs/bugs but really did not feel like it. There's no real pay off to them being on earth versus dinosaurs. No jurassic park moment of "Wow this is beautiful and they are so majestic, followed up by the screaming and the running" the dinosaurs are filling in the alien monster role not unlike your average Riddick movie. But unlike the Riddick movies which get to be a lot more creative with the monsters.

Adam Driver definitely feels too good for the film, like genuinely he walked on the wrong set and is giving the performance for his version of The Revenant. Lots of painful sounding moments with Adam Driver.

The film is also chopped to bits but still feel weirdly drawn out.

I think we all know what to expect from something like this - something that isn't a great movie in any critical terms, but is reasonably watchable and fun for one viewing. That's an ever-growing list amongst newer actioners of late... grand, but you'll never even think of going back for a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Saw this last night and it was objectively awful. Like, not even a whiff of "braindead but still enjoyable" romp off it. Just plain old bad and boring. I'm genuinely wondering did Adam Driver lose a bet with a mate or something. It's the only even marginally logical explanation for him being in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cosholky

Enjoyed this. Perfect at 90 minutes. It definitely had a 1990s feel about it which is welcome in the current steamrollering by the Marvel machine.

Advertisement