Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep your E-bike batteries indoors in this icy weather!

Options
  • 14-12-2022 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Probably should have said this days ago, but it's advice we give any e-bike purchaser.

Don't leave your e-bike batteries in garages or sheds that are susceptible to very low temperatures, for prolonged periods.

It can lead to low charging capability and accelerated discharge in use when the bike comes back out in the spring/summer.

This was advice I was given by a gent who rebuilds batteries due to faults for bike shops.

Having said all that, it took me ages to persuade an elderly customer not to wrap their battery in a blanket and leave it in the hot press all winter!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are the batteries in electric cars susceptible to low temperatures also? (Not that they can be removed for internal storage).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I bring my robot lawnmower into the house for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Good idea to bring power tool batteries inside too. My dewalt batteries are currently lining the window sill in the kitchen. My wife is alternating death stares between them and me 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

No idea, I would imagine they have slightly better insulation than a bicycle? Just passing on advice that I accepted at face value, as helpful/relevant.

Failing that, I'll leave you work away, to have the awkward conversation with your significant other as to why there's a Tesla on the landing.

Jaysus, i never even thought of them (runs to the shed!)

• Advertisement

Have you asked C-3PO to tell it to leave the living room carpet alone?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is sound advice to be honest,

I use USB powerbanks to power some of the additional lights on my bike and I really have noticed a drop in them when it gets much colder. I always take in my ebike battery though, mainly as a security thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They have more insulation but I think the range drops significantly in the cold as a result, I think Renault used to say you’d lose 40% range if it goes below freezing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a different form of battery technology, but one of the reasons the sinclair C5 flopped was they rushed it to the market in winter, and the cold played havoc with the claimed range when the journalists were writing the first reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

This is just as much down to running the vehicle heating from the battery as it is to the battery chemistry in the cold.

Have my ebike battery inside the house for the last week or so, never thought about the power tools or bike lights - the wife will be delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always brought my dewalt batteries indoors.

a few weeks ago, i brought the bike lights in to the house (which had been sitting in the garage for about 8 months unused), and because i didn't know what charge was left on the lidl rechargeable AAA batteries in them, i decided to run them down before charging them; they were sitting on the kitchen table for about six hours before i decided that was enough, and stuck them in to charge. they hadn't started to dim. that's not bad going, for cheap rechargeables which had been sitting for months on end unused.

Do you bring them in every evening, or just when it's cold

the dewalt ones? i just leave them indoors till they're needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Yep, have a plug in hyrbid, getting a lot less km's out of the batteries the last week or two. Some is the cold weather impact on the batteries and some is more heating and warming features turned on. I used to be able to get into work, averaging around 3l/100km and then home on electric, last week or two been around 3.3l/100 coming in and about last 8km from home the electric is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'm sure bringing them indoors will do no harm but in my eyes that's a tale from the old lead acid batteries and any losses in the temps we're experiencing are minimal and it certainly has no long term effect on charging/discharging. Obviously if you're headed for siberia or it's a battery with a tiny capacity sure. I'd always recommend people out hiking to keep their phones in an internal pocket.

I can't speak for ebike batteries as I don't have one but for boat and power tools batteries which I have several that live outdoors, there's been zero long term impact in my experience.🤷‍♂️

bosch state the operating temps for their e-bike systems are -5C to +40C, and the storage temps for the batteries is 10C to 40C, but ideally 10C to 20C.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/help-center/at-what-temperatures-can-or-should-i-operate-and-s-190422

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As always though, on the flip side, batteries are fire risks. I use Lipos a lot and never store them in the house, have seen way too many videos online of them spontaneously bursting into flames.

I'm not quite as up on eBikes, I believe they use Lithium-Ion batteries? Not as dangerous as Lithium Polymer and fire/explosion is rarer, but I still wouldn't fancy keeping them in the house all the time.

I generally don't bother, but for the few days while it -5° or -6°, I don't mind doing it

No harm in it I'm just not arsed 😂

an ebike battery I'd take in just as a matter of security.

Yeah battery run away is no joke particularly in larger batteries ebikes/scooters etc.

• Advertisement

i misread that first time round - just when it's cold.

Advertisement