Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital didn't charge Vhi

• 14-12-2022 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 Didier

Someone was in a public hospital. The patient got there unconsious and was for some time in an induced coma.

It was known he had private insurance, but they didn't ask for details. And he didn't ask staff to bill the insurer.

Can this still be looked after the release? Obviously it's to complete a form by the patient and hospital staff.

Post edited by Didier on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I suspect that nothing will happen. How did they find out that he had private insurance? Because if they ask the question, they almost always want the details there and then. The nurses and doctors don't care, it's typically an admin. person who appears beside your bed and asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Didier

The person wasn't conscious for some time (weeks) when hospitalised.

There were eMails where the insurance was mentioned (but not the policy nbr).

No approach was done by the hospital to get the insurance details or get a form signed.

Can this still be done now after patient release if the patient asks the hospital?

Post edited by Didier on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why is the patient anxious to get billed? The insurance companies are now actively encouraging their customers not to volunteer that they have cover when they are treated in a public hospital as a public patient. You've already paid via your taxes, why pay again through your insurance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would assume from the OPs last sentence that they have been asked to complete a form.

• Yes it can be done after, of course it can.

It may be that the hospital does not have a bill to issue necessarily. Generally there are charges for inpatient stays, I believe it’s €80/night capped at €800 a year. That’s regardless of how many hospitals you visit. The charge is capped at €800.

Medications etc are administered for free. Saying that, the last time I was in hospital, I was there for 3~ weeks & never saw a bill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement