Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Posts /Stakes

Options
  • 14-12-2022 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

My dad has a grass verge outside the wall of his house.

Cars go onto the grass - Are there posts or stakes he could get to put between the road and the wall.

He had plastic ones but they are in bits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is a discussion about a very similar topic here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057854432/protecting-road-verges-with-rocks-etc/p2

While there are lots of opinions it does appear that section 4 of the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) regulations, 1997 state that the verge is part of the roadway "road verge" means that part of a public road which is not a footway, a grass margin, a median strip or a roadway; So it would be a concern that if posts are placed in the verge and cause an accident, who would be liable.

I have no idea if this is a correct interpretation, or if the situation has ever been tested legally.

Meanwhile there are these https://www.desertcart.ie/products/73796664-6-x-18-inch-45-cm-timber-reflective-keep-off-grass-verge-posts-boundary-markers-push-in-ground which have the advantage of showing the verge while still being likely to collapse if actually driven over, reducing accident likelyhood.

I have one of those verges outside my house and I just live with the occasional tyre marks, a rake sorts most issues and the grass grows again, I doubt people deliberately drive onto the verge just for fun and I have myself been forced onto a verge (field, not house as it happened) as an alternative to a head on meeting with a very large milk tanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I have the same issue and because the drivers that drive up over the verge can't see a problem with it, they had a problem keeping well away when the verge was all blackthorn, I have developed my own method of educating drivers. Slowing down and pulling in on the verge to let other cars past is one thing but not slowing down and using the verge as an extension to the road is another.

Cheap white plastic electric fencing poles are very obvious do little or no damage if run over and can be one option, they do however need replacing occasionally https://www.countrylife.ie/shop/product/PVC-Fence-Posts-%28Pack-of-10%29/9044471 . I tidy them up a bit with an angle grinder and grind/cut all the sticky out bits to make them look a little more attractive on the side of the road. If you do use poles or posts I wouldn't spend much money on them as someone sooner or later will drive over them or even steal them.

My method is the opposite. Instead of putting in poles or rocks I dig out drainage ditches (ditch makes them sound bigger and deeper than they are) every 3-4 meters. Nothing really deep only down to 150mm or less and 300-400mm wide. The drainage "depressions" help stop all the water that comes down our drive and also capture much of the road stone that is washed down the road when it rains. They also educate anyone pulling off the road at speed that not every bit of grass is as flat as it looks like from a distance. If you need to you can still slow down and pull onto the verge. I've noticed the number of cars that used to regularly speed up the verge has dropped to zero. It has no effect if a tractor decides to drive over it. When it comes to cutting the verge a small pedestrian mower can easily deal with the small depressions. I also occasionally clean the road gravel out of the depressions.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement