Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester Wildcat .22 Rifle

Options
  • 15-12-2022 12:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any experience with the above rifle?

First time rifle application with a view to getting into target shooting as a hobby.

Tight competition with CZ and Ruger 10/22’s.

all opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I think the first thing to note is that this rifle is regularly available in the US for under $200... so at 457 euro I wouldnt go for it personally ,

Its magazines are interchangable with 10/22 which is handy but for that money you could get a 10/22

The action on this rifle is polymer which is fine the remington nylon 66 has been around for years and they stood the test of time , but again this is a 190? euro gun being sold at 457 euro over twice its street price in the US

Buy a 10/22.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not the first person to say that.

Anything in the for sale section here you would recommend too? Like to buy local and help fellow peeps out of selling, for example the CZ455 17HMR for €300 or there’s a 455 with kit for €900.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Stick with .22 for your first entry into target shooting as you will burn through ammo. Check the prices on the on line sites and you will see what I mean as food for the 17 will cost multiples of the 22 cost. Get a different calibre rifle later if you really get the bug. At that point you will bemore accurate and not waste as much ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭freddieot

Regarding the Winchester, it looks like a nice rifle. It may be a great rifle. However, there are reasons that if you were to tour the clubs you will mostly see Ruger 10/22s, CZs, Anschutz and a small handful of other makes such as Smith & Wesson M&Ps. Reliability and accuracy as well as parts availability.

I had a CZ (BRNO Deluxe) as my first ever rifle back in 1994 and it was very accurate, (especially for the money ). The only rifles beating it in club comps were Anschutz but they carried a heavy premium.

Since then I've owned two Ruger 10/22s. They are really great fun and of course you can spent the price of a car on one making improvements and alterations. Semis are also far more accurate as an option than they used to be. A good bolt action will still have a substantial edge though and as a beginner I'd recommend you get one for your first rifle. Also, something like a CZ457 will keep it's value well for when you decide to get something bigger. On the other hand if you get bored and take up line dancing instead you will still be able to pass it on reasonably easily.

I'd avoid picking a rifle primarily on it's 'cool or tactical look' when you are just beginning. I'd also avoid any very new or unproven models. No point in it looking like the rifle out of SHOOTER if it can't manage decent groups at 50 yards and you will quickly get bored of it very quickly if that is the case. 😊

Keep in mind you will need a scope, perhaps a bipod or bag and lots of other other bits and pieces as well. On balance though it's a great hobby.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Decent advice there, I'm very grateful for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've owned many 22 lr rifles. Mostly CZ, and now have an Anschutz 1710 for LV benchrest target shooting, €1000 second hand shoots very small groups won a, few, comps with it, an old CZ 452 lux for benchrest factory sporter target shooting, €150 second hand shoots great won comps with it, and a custom 10/22 for gallery rifle shooting, €1500 won a few comps with it.

I can not fault the CZ 452,455 older rifles, buy one if you can find one, longer barrels, are better. I had a, CZ 457 LRP but couldn't get on with it and traded it ASAP.

If your looking to get into a little target shooing then a CZ is the best way to start out IMO.

Thank you Clivej.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Forgot to add. I also have an old 22 mag lelver action. Shoots sh!te, group wise, but it was very cheap and got for a bit of fun target shooting.

Also don't get a 17 hmr, you can't shoot comps with it, only 22lr allowed. The 455 is OK, not a 16 inch barrel, but needs to be under 8.5lb all up, scope and bi-pod, if shooting benchrest factory sporter comps. Next weight limit is Light Varmint, but you'd be shooting against the far better rifles in that class.

Advertisement